Help a suburban family with kids enjoy downtown with no stress!
Great news! The contest has been extended till September, 25th, 23:59 UTC!
This means that now you have more time to create your great entries and help find the best mobility solution!
Imagine a family of four: mom, dad and two kids - Sarah, 2 years old and Mike, 5.
When Sarah was born, they decided to move away from the city center and bought a house in the suburbs, 15 km away. It’s great there because they have a small backyard where the kids can play. Yet, their small city does not provide a lot of entertainment and fun things to do when you have children. So Mom and Dad and their kids often go downtown - to the big city center which is close by, to enjoy the vibrant urban culture, do some shopping and other activities they don’t find elsewhere. These moments are an exciting experience, but transportation is an issue, for many reasons.
Two options are available to them:
- To use the public transportation (city buses). But … the bus stop is far from their home. Having to carry the baby’s gear with them (diapers, baby bottles, snacks and so on), it’s not easy to walk to the bus stop. The bus stop may be crowded, which means they have to stand, and they fear that they could lose the kids. And they have to carry the shopping bags on the way home, and need to purchase several bus tickets.
- To take their own car, which allows them to carry the kids’ stuff with them as well as shopping bags. But they have to deal with the traffic which can lengthen the trip. When they get to the center, finding a parking slot is not easy and might cost them a lot of money. There could be vehicle break-ins as well…
No solution exists to make this family’s life easier. Our sponsor, a research and innovation company, wants to help this family reach the city effortlessly and help them stay connected to what they love in urban centers.
Invent a solution or a service that helps a suburban family of four (Mom, Dad, 2 and 5 years old) reach and enjoy the excitement of city centers in a stress-free and affordable way.
This family wants to arrive in the city center full of energy and enjoy the time they spend there without thinking about the pain of getting there, moving around and going back home. The solution you invent for them should be something that frees their minds and removes any hassle.
It’s okay if the solution seems technically unfeasible today. We’re looking for solutions that could come to life in the near future or in 10 years. It’s not about having Martians taking the family to the city either, but you can be ambitious. And you have to be innovative.
Keep in mind the issues Mom and Dad face: the city center is a place full of great things and they want their kids to benefit from it too. They like to go there and spend quality time together, but getting there, moving around and coming back are stressful.
Keep in mind the three steps that the ideal solution would need to address:
- Getting there: the city center is not easy to reach, as their kids are small and because parents have to carry a lot with them.
- When they get to the city center, they don’t go to one single destination. They might go to a playground and then eat somewhere, move to a shopping mall and then to a park. Your solution should be something that brings the family to the urban area but also transports them to different parts of the city.
- Going back home: they now have even more bags to carry (things they bought in the city).
The idea you suggest should not just be an app. There are already thousands of apps that tell you when the next bus is and so on. Also, using only the existing bus and other public transportation will not make it. Your solution can use the existing transport as part of the solution, but it can’t be only this.
You can think about partnerships with existing companies or leveraging the city’s infrastructure – or you can invent a standalone product or service.
Your solution must be effortless, safe, and not expensive. Afterwards, the kids are excited for their next journey to the city center.
Make sure your idea is not something that exists today, nor an evolution of existing things. Be very innovative!
Make sure you describe the solution really well:
- How is the journey made easy and how does your solution enhance the family’s ease of movement within the city center?
- How long does each of the three steps (going to the city, moving around and coming back) take?
- How are the payments made: frequency and payment modes.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
An example of an idea could be autonomous (no driver) mini-buses that come get the family at home and transport them into the urban area. They take them to the places they visit and pick them up whenever parents ask for it. Only the family is in the mini-bus, and they can leave their stuff in the bus after each stop.
Another example is a car pooling service that operates in the city with the cars of the people who work and don’t need their cars during the day. A business man reaches the city at 8.00 am and then needs it back at 6.00 pm. During this time, his car is “rented” to a family who are taken from their home to the center. Kids ride for free and Mom and Dad don’t even have to drive themselves so it’s totally stress-free!
A bad example is an app that combines Uber and buses. This is not an innovation.
- #1 Prize €3,500
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €1,000
What matters is that your idea is something really new. We want this family to enjoy their time in the city. So the best ideas will be those that make the transport issue not an issue anymore.
Guidelines for this contest
- The solution must enable family members to easily stay together throughout the journey.
- The solution must enable spontaneous mobility within the city center.
- Time spent on the journey should be minimized (the main focus is on the experience within the city center, not the journey).
- The cost per trip for the whole family should be minimal.
- Please do some research to make sure your idea does not already exist.
- Don’t just improve existing solutions. Invent things that are radically new.
- Entries should be in English.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.