Reinvent home cleaning!
Over the last decades, our home has changed a lot and so has our way of living. We care about our living space more than before, especially when we realize that our home is a reflection of our personality and taste. We like to keep it tidy and clean… However, the products and tools for cleaning have not been changed radically enough to give us a premium cleaning experience. Not only do we want to clean our home effectively, we also want to keep our home at its best and fit the cleaning chores into our busy daily schedule.
Unilever owns several household care brands like Cif, Domestos, Sunlight and Klinex, providing cleaning products (mostly liquids inside bottles) and only a few cleaning tools, like sponges and brushes. It would like to explore premium innovations that enhance our cleaning experience and meet today’s needs.
Can you help us to design a premium cleaning product or tool that totally reinvents home cleaning?
Design a premium cleaning product or tool that makes cleaning chores a breeze, or even an indulging experience.
What we want is truly innovative ideas that go beyond a normal cleaning product or tool. Simply adding some features to an existing sponge or spray is not enough here. Think about how to show premiumness through a more sensory experience, a simpler application process and the aesthetics of your design – make people want to pay around twice the price of the products currently available.
There are two routes you should think about:
- A product that enhances the appearance and ambiance of the home: we all want a home that is beautifully presented and we could be proud of, to show to our guests. Your design needs to heighten the look or feel of the home via different ways. It could make the furniture shinier, remove unpleasant smells, or add some pleasant fragrances… Be creative!
- A product that enables us to do quick ‘touch-up’ cleaning in our busy daily routine, to keep our surroundings fresh and pleasant and also makes it easy and effortless. This is not about the thorough cleaning jobs, but about the satisfaction and peace of mind from freshening up your surroundings.
Please pick only one route per entry and develop your idea from there. Keep in mind that we want a product so beautifully designed that it could be present in our personal space, where we do not have to hide it in the cabinet. However, your idea still needs to improve the efficiency of cleaning. A cleaning product that is simply beautiful is not what we are looking for. Besides visuals, please explain your idea and how to apply it.
On the second page, please answer three questions to help us better understand your idea:
- How does your product improve the cleaning experience?
- What are the benefits of your product? Which problem(s) does it solve?
- Why do you think people would pay more for it?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
An example of a good entry could be a bottle of cleaning liquid with a pump in a beautiful porcelain container for quick ‘touch-up’ situations. Put a tissue on top of the pump and press down, and then you can wipe any surface with it. It could be placed on the dining table, in the living room or kitchen to clean up quickly and prevent a small mess from turning into big cleaning tasks.
A bad entry would be a brush with a tip that helps to clean corners. Although it has its benefits, it does not enhance the cleaning experience and people would not pay more for it.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
A presentation with visuals and texts (maximum 4 pages)
We are looking for innovative ideas that revolutionize how people clean and enrich cleaning experiences. The winning entries should be beautifully designed, easy to apply and increase the sensory cues. It is also important to answer the questions so we understand what is behind your idea.
Guidelines for this contest
- We only accept entries in English.
- In the top left corner, please clearly indicate which route you have chosen by adding the text “Route 1” or “Route 2”.
- Premium does not mean luxury. It should still be affordable for everyone. Also, we don’t accept any ideas involving electronic devices.
- Your idea needs to work globally across countries and lifestyle. An idea focusing on solving a problem for a small community is not what we’re looking for.
- Your idea has to be realistic and feasible. If you suggest a new formula or product feature, please explain how it works. Do not hesitate to search your inspiration in other industries.
- Please use text & visuals to explain your idea and answer the three questions on a separate page. Do not hesitate to give your product a cool name!
- If you have two ideas for two routes, please submit them separately.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.