Create a unique and reassuring diaper brand for mums!
Let’s meet Meng Zhang, a 28 year-old Chinese woman who just gave birth to her baby girl. From the moment she was pregnant, the baby got her full attention. Being an only child herself, because of the famous One-Child policy in China, and now having her own, most likely, only child, Meng feels the weighty responsibility of raising a happy, healthy and successful only child. She feels the 4 grandparents cannot give good advice because times have changed so much and she doesn’t have sisters to learn from, so she must learn everything from scratch. She looks for the best solution on everything related to her baby’s safety and comfort via all sources online and offline. When it comes to choosing a diaper brand, she is very cautious. She looks for a brand she can trust, and for her, it means products manufactured abroad. In fact, many Chinese mums feel that products “Made in Europe” are more reassuring than products made in Korea, Japan or the US.
A leading European company of baby products wants to launch a unique high-quality diaper brand for Chinese mums like Meng, who are concerned about the greatest possible safety and comfort for their babies. Meng, and other mums like her, know that this life stage is very focused on the baby. Often, they willingly make sacrifices in their personal and work life to provide the very best in safety and comfort for their one and only child.
This new diaper brand will be available for purchase directly online through trusted cross-border e-commerce platforms that import foreign brands from overseas. It provides exactly what the baby wants and needs. It offers maximum comfort: it keeps the baby’s skin dry, is comfortable to wear and gentle on their soft skin.
Can you help create a high-quality, reassuring and distinctive European diaper brand that is “all about the baby” for Chinese mums like Meng?
Create a high-quality, trustworthy ‘Made in Europe’ diaper brand that gives Chinese babies exactly what they want.
Most of the big diaper brands communicate from mum’s point of view… it’s about the joy of giving and caring rather than the reassurance of receiving. In a society where mums have felt the severe pressure to perform as a single child, and are now taking on the weighty responsibility of raising a child of their own, why not design a serious, yet disruptive brand that appeals to Chinese babies.
Think about the name, the slogan and the graphic identity that would bring this unique position to life – one that combines solid reassurance with a simple, fresh, innocent look and feel.
Please keep in mind that this brand will only be sold online, so the brand’s uniqueness must create a memorable WOW factor for Chinese mums who value a trustworthy European diaper brand.
Chinese mums are skeptical about choosing diaper brands and tend to trust high quality brands made in Europe and especially made in Germany. The brand that you design will be manufactured in Germany, and sold as an imported product online only. This means that its European heritage / imagery, focus on safety and appeal must stand out clearly on the pack, even in e-commerce.
Please structure your entry as follows:
1st page: a poster with a brand name, a catchy and memorable tagline and a pack design:
- For the non-Chinese community, the brand name should be rooted in English or German. It should be short, easy to pronounce, to understand and to remember.
- If you do speak Mandarin, try to come up with an English word which has a Mandarin alliteration that is distinctive, meaningful and concise.
- The pack design must communicate the brand’s European credentials in a distinctive, reassuring and appealing way.
2nd page: please suggest some designs, patterns and motifs that can “decorate” the diaper itself. The graphics should be light and simple (not too bold in color because it could evoke harsh chemicals). Remember that it’s all about the baby when creating your graphic idea.
3rd page: answer the following questions:
- What is the idea behind your brand name?
- How does your idea communicate the brand’s European credentials, its high quality, and its reassurance on safety and comfort?
- Why is it appealing to Chinese mums? What frustrations does your idea solve?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
An example of a good entry could be a brand named “Biobaby” with light green packaging. The name is short and easy to remember. The packaging suggests distinctive product functionality through simple illustrations and European heritage with the flag of the EU.
An example of a bad entry could be a diaper design with European cities and unclear product functionality. It only focuses on mums instead of babies’ needs and doesn’t communicate to them in an emotional way.
Also, please avoid brand names that are too long or not meaningful like “lovely diapers”, “cutie baby” etc.
- #1 Prize €5,000
- #2 Prize €2,500
- #3 Prize €1,000
- #4 Prize €1,000
- #5 Prize €500
A presentation with visuals and texts (maximum 3 pages)
We are looking for distinctive ideas that stand out in a crowded category. Your idea must communicate the high quality and reassuring safety of a brand made in Europe through a name, tagline, pack design, and diaper pattern.
Guidelines for this contest
- We only accept entries in English and Mandarin.
- Don’t be caught in the blue / pink traditions associated with diapers in Western countries. The Chinese prefer light unisex colors that imply gentle and comfortable diapers.
- No black humor, irony, mocking or denigrating competitors or any inappropriate content. The tone of voice should be gentle, positive and reassuring, rather than one that evokes fear.
- Please avoid ideas that are too close to key competitor brands: “GoodNites mean good mornings”, “Luvs. Life uninterrupted. Live. Learn. Get Luvs”, “Every baby's a winner.” (“怎么动，都舒服”，“超薄干爽”)
- Please answer the three questions above in your entry
- Please respect the mandatory format as well as the structure.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.