Invent a better way to fold the pads!
Women love sanitary pads because pads come through for them in their time of need. They make women feel protected, dry, clean and comfortable during their periods. The only thing is that some women find sanitary pads too big to fit into their purse or pouch and not discreet enough to take them to the bathroom at work, or in a public place.
Always, one of the leading brands for menstruation pads, has listened to women, and wants to find an innovative new way to fold the pad, so it is more compact, but without changing the pad itself.
Can you help Always improve the fold design of the pad so it is more compact, discreet and appealing to women?
Invent a new & appealing fold design for Always sanitary pads without changing the pad itself.
The challenge is to come up with a new way to fold the Always Ultra sanitary pad to make the surface area of the folded pad smaller so it is more discreet. This would make it easier for women to carry them throughout the day in a small purse or pouch, and to the bathroom in the palm of their hand. Always is not expecting magic: the size of the pad will stay the same, so they understand that more compact designs will likely be thicker.
Always sanitary pads have not changed the fold in decades. Currently, it is folded twice, into 3 sections, wrapped & kept in place by a strip of tape. After opening the wrapped pad, it takes two hand movements to unfold it. As long as the new design is discreet & appealing, Always thinks women will accept up to 3 to 4 steps to open it. You can see the pad in the visual below:
Length/width of the pad: 124mm x 105mm. Thickness: 2mm
The key thing to watch out for in terms of functionality which will require an ingenious solution is related to the wings that keep the pad in place on the panties. There is glue on the back of the wings protected by plastic like paper. If the wings stick to another part of the pad, the pad cannot be used, so it is essential that these do not get messed up in the new fold design you propose.
There is no limit to the shape or size of your design, as long as the surface area is smaller, it is attractive to women and convenient to use. We want you to be creative, but do not forget that multiple pads will need to be packed in a box, and assembled by machine.
To make sure that we perfectly understand your idea, please be as visual and instructive as possible. Use illustrations, collages or mock-ups to show us how the pad looks before opening it, and how it is unfolded. Tell us why you think women will like your design.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
For your inspiration, look at other types of small objects that women can carry in the palm of their hand. Maybe there is no folding per se, but a simple technique that “opens” the compacted pad.
A bad example would be to fold a pad into a real origami like rose or bird. While it might be appealing to women, it is too complicated to unfold, and it would not pack well in a box of 10 pads.
- #1 Prize €2,000
- #2 Prize €1,000
- #3 Prize €500
Presentation with visuals and descriptions (maximum 4 pages PDF)
Page 1: the way it looks when it is folded or carried; Page 2: the folding instructions and how women unfold them; Page 3: explanation of your design;
Always is looking for an innovative way to fold the existing Ultra pads to replace the way it has been folded for decades. The winning entries need to be more attractive & compact than the current “Trifold”, yet simple to open & reliable to use.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries should be in English.
- Always is a brand dedicated to all women. It believes that women are incredible. They have unlimited potential. They are strong, wonderful and fabulous and can do anything they put their minds to. Always is their biggest cheerleader!
- We would like fold design ideas that could be applicable to the Always Ultra sanitary pad. This brief does not concern Always panty liners which are often sold unfolded.
- The new Fold Design should combine creativity & functionality. It cannot compromise the 1-2-3-4 step convenience of use and the “wings functionality” so it stays in place. For more information about the products, check here.
- Always Ultra sanitary pads are sold in most countries. Do not hesitate to buy some and play around with them to generate ideas.
- Do not change the pad itself.
- The pads are packed fully wrapped, with a strip of tape. It is not necessary to deal with the wrapping in your idea; just the fold design. However, you are free to include a wrapping procedure in your submission.
- You can download the logo in the toolkit here.
- Your idea should include visuals and texts to explain your idea.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.