Can you help Kipling roll out fresh new category ideas for modern women in Asia?
Founded in Europe and now with international presence, Kipling makes handbags, backpacks, accessories, and luggage that combines quality, function and style – for a multi-tasking woman’s practical side as well as her desire for witty style twist to make it special. Its lightweight trademark crinkled nylon and intuitive internal storage organization help lighten your day, functionally and emotionally. Kipling’s playful brand personality comes through in its use of expressive colors and patterns, coming to life in the monkey key-hanger that comes with each bag.
Besides its current categories of handbags, backpacks, accessories and luggage, Kipling wants your ideas about what else to offer a woman in her 30s who lives in Asia. She holds an optimistic mindset towards life, and happiness and enjoyment are the upmost priorities for her. Perhaps this woman isn’t yet a mother, or perhaps she’s a new mom in the early period of motherhood. She feels young and energetic, and keeps a youthful outlook on life. She loves her family and friends, and she juggles a busy work and social balance in her life. Her eyes are open to the quirky things in life and she quietly celebrates the personal style choices she makes every day; it’s the small things in life that make her smile.
Stretch the limits of innovativeness, creativity and insightfulness and suggest what new products Kipling can offer, that it currently doesn’t, that will bring a smile to her face and make her feel special.
Apart from handbags, backpacks, accessories or luggage, show us a compelling visual of what else Kipling should add to its product categories, and what it can offer to Asian women.
Kipling currently offers handbags, backpacks, accessories and luggage for work, everyday activities, school, and leisure and travel. Click here to take a look at what it currently offers. Today, it is looking for your innovativeness, creativity, and insightfulness to expand beyond this. Your challenge today is to imagine a new product that an Asian woman in her early 30s will want from Kipling.
Push the boundaries of the categories that Kipling currently offers women. What other occasions could Kipling offer products for, e.g., sporting occasions, nights out, kids? What other categories should Kipling expand to, for example:
- Homeware – Kipling design bedlinen, tablecloth made of the stain-resistant lightweight trademark crinkled nylon?
- Stationary – notebooks, planners, calendars with Kipling designs or the iconic monkey?
- Pets – dog collar, leash, bed, all with Kipling’s design philosophy of practical functionality with a witty twist of style?
Think about what the Kipling brand stands for:
- Lightweight, yet of lasting quality – because of their use of the lightweight trademark crinkled nylon;
- Stylish functionality – easy to access and intuitive ways to organize your items;
- Casual styles fit your varied occasions
- Colours that make you happy
- A monkey icon that embodies Kipling’s playful spirit
We want to understand new ways of thinking about the Kipling brand and see a visual of how that translates into a new product for Kipling.
Please answer the following three questions in the template provided:
- What is your idea for a new product Kipling should produce? Please show us a visual of your design and a written description so we can understand your idea.
- How will this fit into the life of and benefit an Asian woman who’s juggling a lot during the course of her day? Be specific and give us real examples that are more descriptive than “my item is a practical design for a busy woman.” We want details!
- Why should Kipling make this item? Think about what’s new and unique about this product and why an Asian woman would want this item made by Kipling.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Here are some tips to think about when designing a new product that Kipling should produce and bring to market for Asian women:
- Kipling currently focuses on the following occasions – work, everyday life, school, leisure, and travel – could there be any other occasions that Kipling might want to make products for?
- Think of the things you love shopping for and use. Could Kipling credibly produce any of these items? Would you want to buy these Kipling branded products?
- #1 Prize €1,500
- #2 Prize €600
- #3 Prize €400
Poster with a visualization of your idea and answers to the three questions, using the template provided.
We are looking for a creative and compelling visual and thoughtful reflection on what you feel Kipling should add to their categories of products. We want to see ideas that are interesting and out-of-the-box, but also things that they can credibly produce under the Kipling brand.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries must be in English only.
- You can download template for your submission and Kipling logo from the creative toolkit. Your entry must include a visual of your idea and descriptive text that answers the three questions above.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.