Reinvent tuna in a can to make it a must-have on every table!
You know the kind of food. It stays in the cupboard. It’s stored there, waiting to be picked someday… we buy it without really knowing what we’ll use it for, but we still buy it because it’s a commodity, something you need to have at home.
Tuna in a can is an example of this kind of food. In France it’s very popular. Popular in the sense that almost every family has some in the cupboard and so buys it regularly. But it’s not an indulgent product.
Petit Navire (it means “Small Ship”) is the leader brand in the tuna segment.
They produce all sorts of tuna: natural tuna (plain), tuna in olive oil, tuna with condiments (tomato sauce or marinated in herbs, mustard etc.).
People use the metal cans of tuna as an ingredient to compose salads in the summer or tarts.
But people never think: “Let’s eat tuna today, what could we do with it?” Instead, they think: “Let’s make a salad. Oh, I have tuna, let’s use it.”
Do you think you could change this? Can you turn canned tuna into a gustatory pleasure? Could it become a more emotional food?
Can you help Petit Navire innovate and create the tuna that everyone will want?
Imagine a new product idea – which is not just a packaging or recipe change – to rejuvenate tuna.
We believe there are several routes you can take to invent a new product idea, and imagine new ways to consume tuna. Your idea needs to be rooted in an occasion or be based on a frustration.
Your idea must bring something really new to the table. It should not be just a change of recipe – simply adding seasonings, vegetables or anything else will not be enough to form an acceptable submission.
Changing the packaging could be an area to explore, but your idea can not be simply an improvement to the packaging. And it should still be sold as an ambient product – food that is stored at room temperature, a long-life product, not a chilled product. It could be sold either in a can or in some other packaging you think is appropriate.
Think about the occasions where eating tuna can become relevant. I am a mum and I watch my son playing football… I come back from a day of skiing and I am looking for a meal that all family members would like… I am spending my day at the office with no time to eat out… I have friends for dinner etc. There are many others – it’s your turn to find them!
To create new “tuna-moments”, you could change the format to make it a shareable dish. Or you could change the way it’s prepared, seasoned or consumed. Maybe it’s heated or used as a side dish to something really exciting?
Getting people proud of serving this product to their friends is another interesting area.
What matters is that you invent something people will be happy to use and serve, something that is appealing because it is convenient, it tastes really good and offers something new.
Lastly, keep in mind the fact that a “natural tuna” can costs around 2 euros today. Your new product should remain accessible (not be too expensive). If it’s a bit more premium than today, that’s fine, as long as the product still offers good value for money.
Petit Navire is a brand that is natural, accessible, reliable and friendly. You can watch some ads here.
Please design your product and packaging ideas, give your product a name and describe what it is. Tell us the steps for people to use it and why you think it will appeal to French people and increase consumption.
We ask you to provide us details about these areas:
- The occasion: what is the context for consumption or the trigger to eat your product?
- What is your product: name and description?
- How it makes Petit Navire stand out and be appealing?
All ideas must have these three elements, as well as illustrations, or they will be rejected.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
A good idea for this contest would be a tuna that can be eaten straight away, without any preparation. It’s perfect to take away with you for picnics out in nature or to consume with drinks. The innovation is inside the can. It has small compartments for each person to take a bite. It comes with individual sachets of seasonings to spread over each small part, and it contains toothpicks so it’s easy to take one portion and eat it.
Another good idea for this contest could be a tuna that you can heat. It’s perfect to eat during winter. What you have to do is take it out from the metal box, put in on a plate in the microwave and place it on a slice of bread. Spread some grated cheese or a slice of cheese and put under the grill for 2 minutes. This tuna is specially made for heating and will melt nicely with the cheese. A quickly prepared new kind of sandwich!
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Design and text (4 pages max.)
The jury will reward the best ideas that provide a true innovation to people without changing the recipe. Staying true to the brand identity is key to winning.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries should be in English or French.
- Please submit an idea that does not already exist. Look at the Petit Navire website.
- Petit Navire is making efforts to be more environmental friendly. Don’t suggest ideas in this area. Sustainable packaging and eco-friendly production methods are not ideas we’ll consider.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.