Invent a never seen before luxury fragrance that will emotionally appeal to Millennials.
Smelling good is feeling good. It boosts my confidence and creates connections with others. People notice our perfumes, sometimes long after we have left the room, and it has a positive impact on them.
At all times, the invisible and subtle nature of perfume has been linked with marvelous and magical powers, causing strong emotions. Today, it seems that these powers have faded: the industry has failed to reinvent itself.
For most people, especially the Millennial generation, perfume seems to have lost some of its power of attraction. How come? Why are Millennials less attracted to perfume?
Perfumes have become extremely mainstream, with an incredible number of new launches each year (over 2000). They all look the same, are still mostly offered in a typical glass bottle with a spray, and an increasing number of people fail to relate to them. Additionally, brands communicate essentially around the topic of seduction, and the in-store purchase experience is often unsatisfactory, making it very hard for buyers to identify the “right” fragrance for themselves.
This was not always the case, and the objective of this project it to bring back innovation and emotions into the world of luxury fragrances. Our sponsor is a luxury brand of perfume who wishes to appeal to as many people as possible by re-igniting the fragrance world and offering an innovative experience, combined with true emotions and deep positive feelings.
Can you create an aesthetic and emotional connection between luxury fragrances and the younger generation?
Invent a totally new perfume that creates emotions in order to become Millennials’ favorite.
You can break the rules of perfume as we know it today. Packaging, distribution, application method, communication, use of digital- everything could be reinvented, as long as it triggers some emotions! You’re free to pick one area or mix several. But do not try to incorporate too many ideas and features into one entry.
There a few watch-outs although the brief is very open. Your product should still be a high-end product. It’s not something that would be sold in supermarkets for instance. Think “premium” and “luxury” and imagine something that is consistent with the experience these brands provide their clients with.
There should also be a touch of craftsmanship. The perfume objects that our client sells are high quality fragrances that are made with premium ingredients, requiring time and skills of scents experts. Keep this in mind as you create your entry.
Your entry must include:
- A product idea with visuals (sketches, illustration, pictures) and explanations about your product -how it works, what’s new.
- The story behind: tell us what frustrations or the needs you’re addressing, who you’re designing a product for, what kind of emotions are triggered and why you think people will like it.
Don’t be afraid to break the codes that exist in the perfume industry today. We’d like to be surprised by your ideas and although you need to invent something “luxurious”, feel free to disrupt the perfume paradigm! As long as it provides smells, creates emotions and is appealing to Millennials…
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Who said perfume should be sprayed on the skin? What about a perfume that is worn all day long on a bracelet? It brings serenity – the wearer knows she can count on her perfume.
How can you integrate digital elements in perfume? What about an app that spreads perfume when it’s needed? It brings surprise and joy because it’s totally new and addictive.
Why go to these overly aggressive perfume stores? Should perfume be sold where Millennials are? Your idea could bring a feeling of escapism through an immersive experience.
What about communication? Can it be more inclusive and make people feel inspired and optimistic?
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Presentation made of visuals and text (4 pages max - PDF).
It’s important that your idea fits into the luxury world. The client will reward entries that bring something new to the game. Telling us in detail about your inspiration will also help you win. Anything that already exists will not be accepted.
Guidelines for this contest
- Remember the mandatory points: luxury, Millennials, fragrance.
- Don’t invent a new juice (scent), it’s not what we’re looking for.
- Entries should be in English or Chinese.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.