Help Gen-Z to combine their passion and a stable future
Having a passion and living for it is what we all dream of. But obligations and responsibilities often come into play and force us to make practical choices. People often feel that they must let go of their passion as they move to a stable and secure life.
But… why choose?
The generation we often call “Gen-Z” doesn’t want to compromise. They want the best of both worlds. They want not only to have stable work that leads to career growth, but also to be able to pursue what excites them, that hobby that gives meaning to their lives.
You might know one of these individuals. She’s fond of travel. Whenever she can, she goes to visit a new place, discover a culture, practice a new sport in a far-away land. She loves this so much. She’s not doing this as a tourist- but with her soul, meeting people, living with them and like them. It’s slow time, meaningful time. To be able to afford these travels, she must return to her home town to do temporary work as a coder. She is good at it, it’s fun, and she likes it. But at the back of her head, this feeling keeps coming back: “I should build a career, be more loyal to my employers. I should think about my CV; it doesn't look good to have so many holes in it.”
This person, your friend (or maybe you!), is missing something. A service or a product that could help her reconcile her passion and building a stable future.
Our sponsor, a research and innovation company, wants to help people, like the person in our example, follow their own path -- not the one dictated by society's norms - while building up a secure future.
Do you want to contribute to creating this scenario for your peers, or maybe even for yourself?
How can we enjoy life while being realistic about it?
Imagine a solution that would allow people from Generation Z to follow their passion while having the assurance that they are building a stable future.
By solution, we mean two things: a product or a service. You can imagine either a product or a service, or even a mix of both.
Your idea must enable the user to pursue his passion while leading a “nomadic” lifestyle AND provide the stability he could expect if he was living permanently in one location. Through the use of this service or product, people should have a better life. They should experience self-improvement and self-fulfillment because they are living their passion, yet be very reassured about the future. Your idea should provide the same, or better, tools and technologies that people would have access to if they were following a more traditional life path.
The type of passions and interests we are thinking about are linked to mobility. This generation likes to move; they don’t feel that they belong to a single country and must permanently stay in that country. They can go anywhere and do whatever they want. They are free spirits… but they’ve been raised in an age of uncertainty and they know that building a secure future matters.
Once you’ve come up with an idea, we’d like you to describe it very carefully to us. We really want to understand how it works and why you think it will provide a useful solution.
Create a presentation with:
- Portrait of the user: Tell us what she likes to do and what are her current frustrations;
- The solution you suggest- service or product: Tell us step-by-step how it works and how it solves the frustration. You can do this by using sketches, storyboards and by telling a story of a real life scenario. While you describe the solution, please tell us:
- How your idea encourages the user to live his passion
- How your idea provides security for a long-term future
- How your idea enables/enhances the user’s mobility
- Add supporting visuals
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
An example of a good service idea would be a savings plan that works even when you are abroad. Every salary payment you get from a job in a foreign country can be declared to your savings plan and when your pay exceeds a certain level, a deposit is automatically made to your savings account. This money is kept aside and can only be used after 10 years.
An example of a good product idea is a suitcase that expands to become a mobile office. Wherever you are, you can open the suitcase, put your laptop on it (use as a stand) and browse the Internet, charge your phone, etc. It means people can make their calls while they’re travelling and they don’t need to go to a city or search for an Internet connection.
- #1 Prize €3,500
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €1,000
Presentation with images and text. 5 pages max in PDF.
What’s the key to winning is to make sure your idea really brings something new and useful. It should be something that addresses both challenges: live my passion and build a secure future. It should not be an improvement of things that already exist, but a radically new solution.
Guidelines for this contest
- Please do a bit of research to make sure your idea does not already exist.
- Don’t just improve existing solutions. Invent things that are radically new.
- Entries should be in English.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.