Surprise and excite young fashion addicts with great Vidal Sassoon packaging design.
When you order something online, perhaps a limited edition of something you really want and are looking forward to, have you ever waited in anticipation for that box to arrive, counting down the days as soon as you’re notified that it will be arriving? Do you look forward to a surprise in what lies in the box you will be receiving? With Vidal Sassoon’s new range of limited edition products, you just might see yourself doing that!
In the swinging 60s, Sassoon established the principle of modern hair design and championed the philosophy of breaking the rules of convention. Today its academy equips stylists with the techniques and rules so that they can break them in their own way. Similarly, the Vidal Sassoon range of salon professional products seeks to do the same: enabling women to set their own standards for hair that break the rules of tradition and convention.
This same pioneering spirit can be seen in Vidal Sassoon e-commerce: a purchasing avenue that is poised to surprise and excite women as they receive the product(s) that come with a never-seen-before box opening experience.
Create an exciting box opening experience that young fashion addicts will get excited about as they see their Vidal Sassoon limited special edition products unveiled.
Vidal Sassoon wants your creativity to design bottle and box packaging for that wow moment as she opens the box of her limited special edition products. We want ideas that will resonate with women age 18-24, the most discerning young and trendy fashion addicts. They want to be noticed and their style is ever-evolving, following the latest fashion trends. They lead an active and creative life, and love the freedom to be whomever they choose.
First take some time to read more about Vidal Sassoon here.
Vidal Sassoon has identified four themes for their limited special edition products. Please pick ONE to focus your packaging design and experience around.
- Vidal Sassoon’s association with cultural and iconic personalities
Vidal Sassoon was closely associated with some of the most significant culture icons and movements of the 60s-70s; from Bauhaus to the British invasion, and of course rock n’ roll. He was a defining figure that took London back to the front stage of fashion and culture. Draw inspiration from culture icons or you can be inspired by music, architecture, art or photography of London’s swinging 60s-70s.
- Andy Warhol was a good friend of Vidal and had endorsed his male hair spray line-up, spontaneously calling it “the art of style”.
- Widely regarded as the most influential act of the 1960s, The Beatles was the embodiment of anti-establishment, experimentation, and other alternative lifestyles. Vidal was the man behind their signature haircuts.
- Along with Vidal's the signature bob for Mary Quant came the invention of the mini-skirt, both of which allowed women to move with freedom.
How would Vidal Sassoon’s association with culture of the 60s-70s and iconic personalities of the era translate to bottle and box packaging design? We are looking for the creative expression of these associations, not just pictures of personalities and events on pack.
- Vidal Sassoon’s philosophy of liberation
Before Sassoon, a good hairstyle meant imitating Hollywood glamour and intense salon hours of heavy styling; women were chained to salon chairs in order to achieve society's ideal. With Vidal Sassoon's iconic geometric haircuts, women were liberated from the salon chair and society’s expectations. How would your design concept convey the theme of liberation, from packaging design to the journey of opening and feeling the products? How can Vidal Sassoon’s liberating philosophy be told through design and visual story telling?
- Festive Gifting
Christmas and Chinese New Year are big festive occasions in China where people give thanks and connect with their loved ones. How would you design Vidal Sassoon’s limited edition packaging design and the box opening experience to enables the sharing of hopes, dreams, and best wishes for loved ones? You can choose to design your packaging with festive colours and cues, but we don’t just want the traditional clichés of red and green, blue and silver, candy canes or Christmas trees. How can you make it interesting and disruptive? Look into the spirit of the occasions – that sharing of hopes, dreams, and fun moments – and create a Vidal Sassoon limited edition bottle and box packaging that enables this?
- Contemporary collaboration
Can you think of any interesting personalities that are a good fit with Vidal Sassoon and what the brand stands for – individuality, liberation, breaking the rules of convention? Besides fashion designers, think outside the box: artists, dancers, performing artists, architects, and Silicon Valley techs. If Vidal Sassoon and these personalities were to design today’s bottle and box packaging design, what would it look like? We are looking for the creative expression of these associations, not simply pictures of these people on pack.
Prizes will be awarded in all themes so please submit separate entries per theme if you have amazing and creative ideas to increase your chances of winning.
Show us designs that will give our young fashion addict an experience of surprise and delight when she receives her delivery, with a box opening experience that breaks all the rules of expectation.
What do you need to do?
- Pick one of the above themes to focus your idea on.
- Design a limited special edition Vidal Sassoon bottle packaging (please download the bottle template in the guidelines)
- Design a special box opening experience that indulges and surprises the senses: from receiving, to touching and opening. What can you smell, feel, see or hear? It is the design of the packaging itself, but consider how that packaging is experienced as she opens the box. Remember, this packaging doesn’t necessarily need to be an actual box (for example, it could be a bag) but it should support your design concept and convey what each theme is about.
- If you would like, you can suggest additional little items to add to the packaging that conveys the theme, for example in #2. Vidal Sassoon’s philosophy of liberation, you could add a key ring that looked like a miniature special limited edition Vidal Sassoon bottle. Not only is it useful, keys symbolise unlocking something that was previously closed.
Remember, your idea must be cool, fashionable, and exciting, and also convey the theme in a way that’s surprising and never been seen or done before
With your design proposal, please answer these four questions:
- Which theme did you choose to centre your idea around? (Remember you can submit multiple entries across all themes but each submission needs to be focused on ONE theme.
- How does your design resonate with young fashion addicts?
- How does your design showcase the Vidal Sassoon story? For example, a partnership between Vidal Sassoon and Cara Delavigne, whose signature look of unkempt eyebrows and silly faces shows that she defies the convention of what makes a picture-perfect model.
- How does your box packaging design ‘wow’ young fashion addicts when they open it, in a way that conveys what each theme is about?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
As you’re thinking about your design, think about how someone receives a delivery: in a world where so much happens electronically, receiving something in the post can be quite exciting, especially when it’s something you’ve ordered and are anticipating the arrival of. You sign for it and carry a delivery box to your sofa or bed. You tear off the tape to get rid of the brown box and reveal that coveted special edition Vidal Sassoon products you’ve eagerly been awaiting. Think about the 4 themes that you can create your idea on – what do you see?
Example of a bad entry: For #1. Vidal Sassoon’s association with cultural and iconic personalities: Images of these personalities on the bottle packaging or box packaging. We are looking for more than design that puts the theme on the pack in a literal way.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €3,000
- #3 Prize €3,000
- #4 Prize €3,000
- #5 Prize €2,000
- #6 Prize €2,000
- #7 Prize €2,000
- #8 Prize €2,000
PDF presentation in 3 pages:
- 1st page visual of your design on the Vidal Sassoon bottle
- 2nd page visual of the Vidal Sassoon packaging that comes out of standard delivery company protective box.
- 3rd page answers to the four questions.
We want to see exciting, out-of-the-box creative ideas that will fire up our young fashion addict from that moment where they receive the delivery box with anticipation and excitement. Show us packaging design and experience that will stop them in their track and think, “Vidal Sassoon breaks the rules once again, this is just so cool!”
Guidelines for this contest
- Please submit entries in English
- You must keep the Vidal Sassoon bottle shape and feature the logo.
- The box special edition design of the box packaging that the products will be delivered in has no restrictions – unleash your full creative potential.
- You can download the bottle template and Vidal Sassoon logo here.
- Please answer the four mandatory questions in your entry.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.