Invent a new tasty and slightly healthier chip for Australian snack lovers.
Australians love tasty food more than any other people on Earth. Believe us, they are not afraid of tasty things - the fact that they invented Vegemite is proof of that.
When it comes to chips they like them only if they are tasty and really yummy.
Like anyone else, they also enjoy relaxing with friends and sharing a bag of potato chips. There are many occasions to gather around and share a bag of tasty chips. It’s easy and it’s comfort food, great for afternoon and evening time, for picnics and backyard barbecues, for watching TV with your partner, for informal family moments…
Chips are a treat and each one of us has our own favorite flavor.
Snack Brand Australia (SBA) owns famous brand like Kettle, Natural Chip Company, Thins, CCs, Cheezels, etc. They know that people who love chips are interested in buying healthier alternatives. The difficulty is that when something is healthier, it often does not taste as good. As such, SBA is looking for ideas to make tasty and great chips that are a little less bad for consumers.
Do you think you can help?
Invent a new chip product with great taste to delight Australians who love chips but are always looking for an option that is a little bit better for you.
It needs to be something that tastes good and remains a treat! Sharing a bag of chips should always be an indulgent moment and if it does not taste good, most Australians will simply not buy it!
Follow the product guidelines:
- Your product should be bite-sized and presented in a share bag; (i.e. not a single piece or bar)
- It’s a salty snack; it could be salty and sweet, but the base needs to be savory (e.g. popcorn with salty caramel topping)
- Eaten with others during afternoon or evenings;
- It can contain vegetable but should not be made only of these (otherwise it’s not new);
- It can contain corn or potato chips but not be made only of these (otherwise it’s not new);
- Not be a premium product: the cost would be inaccessible; (i.e. avoid caviar)
- Not be a “niche” product - like seaweed chips;
- Not be “too healthy” – it is important that it’s not positioned in the health food aisle of the supermarket but in the salty snack aisle;
- You don’t need to know Australia well to be able to create a product idea. Just keep in mind that’s it’s mandatory that your chips are yummy so Australians will love it.
What we want you to do is to create a new product (ingredients, shape, taste) with packaging ideas and name. SBA will take your ideas as inspiration to launch a new brand.
Please use the provided template to create your idea and make sure you answer the questions:
- Product description:
- Ingredients and formulas
- Shape and size of the chips (remember it must be bite-size)
- Name: what does your name mean or evoke?
- Packaging ideas: how does the share bag look? Describe the colors and graphic design ideas
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
A good idea for this contest would be a mix of sweet potatoes and cilantro-flavored potato chips. No artificial color or flavors are used and the chips are natural. Only sea salt is used to make the chips taste good. It’s called “Cili-chips” and the pack is all green and red. Very colorful and catchy.
Another good idea would be whole grain corn and wheat chips. They’re less crunchy than the normal chips but still taste very good, as they are flavored with barbecue flavor. They’re called “Whollys” and the pack show a wheat field with barbecues.
A bad idea is organic sweet potato chips. It already exists and it does not bring anything new.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Presentation is made of max three pages using the template.
The key challenge is that you manage to create chips that stay appealing and tasty but are not quite so bad for you! We know healthy products are often boring and not mainstream (they appeal only to a small group of people). The best ideas will be those that are new and unique while being tasty and promoting good overall health.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries must be in English.
- Just reducing salt and fat of existing chips is not enough. Create a whole new product.
- Make sure your product idea would have broad appeal.
- You can download the template here.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.