Wow young fashionistas with how Vidal Sassoon changed the world with a pair of scissors.
Vidal Sassoon brief has been updated
We received a lot of messages from you saying that the brief was unclear.
Please note that the brief has been updated and the format of the accepted entries is now - poster with the tagline. Please read the brief carefully before creating your entry.
Inspired by Bauhaus and arising in the swinging 60s, Vidal Sassoon elevated hairdressing to a form of art, liberated women with a pair of scissors, and ushered in a new era in fashion history.
Before Sassoon, a good hairstyle meant imitating Hollywood glamour and intense salon hours of heavy styling. Beauty was a lacquered ideal and women were chained to salon chairs. With 9 years of experimenting, Vidal Sassoon applied geometric principles to hair design for styles customized to each individual’s bone structure and facial features: contours and angles crafted to accentuate each woman’s uniqueness. Hair no longer needed to be lacquered into style.
Now women could move and do whatever they loved and still count on their hair to be in style. Hair became a fashion statement that women never had to take off.
Today, Vidal Sassoon’s vision and highest professional standards, live on in the Vidal Sassoon brand of professional salon shampoos, conditioners and styling products that have revolutionized of at-home hair care.
However, with aggressive competition from up market salon professional brands, women today are no longer aware of Vidal Sassoon’s rich professional heritage and what it stands for. We want your help and your creativity to communicate the inspiring brand story of Vidal Sassoon in a contemporary and relevant way that would resonate with women age 18-24, the most discerning young and trendy fashion addicts.
In a poster with a tagline, take the brand’s professional heritage to new heights by building Vidal Sassoon as the one and only salon genius in a contemporary way that’s relevant to trendy young women
The salon professional heritage of the Vidal Sassoon brand lies in the inspiring legacy and beliefs of the man itself. We want to bring to life the pioneering, innovative, and path-breaking legacy of the genius behind the brand, to convey his overall philosophy: liberating individuality. Rather than reciting the story in a literal way, how can you to tell the story in a fresh new way that is relevant today? Show us how your idea comes to life in a poster with a tagline.
Here’s a snapshot of what is the Vidal Sassoon brand about:
- Sassoon believes in individuality. We understand the depth of individuality and the wonder and power it exudes once unleashed. It surprises and inspires.
- Sassoon believes hair has power. We design and craft hair as a piece of art to accentuate your uniqueness. Hair is the organic fabric of your style, a fashion statement you never take off.
- Sassoon believes unbound creativity inspires. Taking inspiration from anywhere and everywhere to create, this is where our mastery originates and we pass it on in the Sassoon Academy to generations of clients, stylists and artists for them to be inspired and to inspire others.
- Sassoon believes in uncompromising pursuit that unites the paradoxical. Uniting science and art, Sassoon hair design injects the precision of geometry into the fluidity of human traits. Through 9 years of crafting and experimenting, Sassoon established the principle of modern hair design with a precise yet dynamic style that moves with you and bounce back in shape.
- Sassoon believes rules need to be broken to set new ground. Born in the swinging 60s, Sassoon shifts paradigm; today, its academy equips stylists with the technique and rules so that they can break it in their own way.
Watch the videos below for more information about the Vidal Sassoon brand:
While Vidal Sassoon was intricately linked with fashion in the 60s, we want our brand story to be about his philosophy, of liberating creativity and individuality, which are so relevant even today. Women know that Vidal Sassoon is about fashion but beyond overt links to the fashion industry alone, how would you bring the Vidal Sassoon story to life?
Show us how you would engage with trendy young women in a way that evokes emotion, in a way that is surprisingly cool, that will inspire them to learn more about Vidal Sassoon and his stories.
Please answer the following three questions in your submission:
- What is your entry about? Please give a short paragraph to describe it.
- How is your re-creation of the Vidal Sassoon brand story relevant to today’s trendy young women in a cool and contemporary way?
- How does your idea connect emotionally with these women?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Think from the young and trendy fashion addict:
How will they feel when they see your idea? These women have not yet established so their own identity so their style is ever-evolving, following the latest fashion trends in order to be noticed. They lead an active and creative life, and love the freedom to be whomever they choose. How can your ideas resonate with these women, be so eye-opening that women get goose bumps and want to learn more about Sassoon and his stories?
Example of a bad entry: A image of Vidal Sasson products offstage at a fashion show. While we’re not against sleek Vidal Sassoon hair that looks like it might be catwalk inspired but we don’t want a Fashion Week idea or concept that’s too entrenched in the catwalk or even a “backstage at Fashion Week” idea. We know that Vidal Sassoon and fashion are linked but this doesn’t bring to life the pioneering, innovative, and path-breaking legacy of the genius behind the Vidal Sassoon brand. Also, Fashion Week ideas are clichés used by other up market salon professional brands.
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €2,000
- #3 Prize €2,000
- #4 Prize €1,000
- #5 Prize €1,000
1st page poster with a tagline; 2nd page answers to the three questions (max 2 pages PDF).
The brand will award prizes to the best ideas that bring to life the pioneering, innovative, and path-breaking legacy of the genius behind the Vidal Sassoon brand. We want you to inspire women to engage with the brand and its inspiring heritage. Show us ideas that evoke emotion in a way that is contemporary and surprisingly cool, ideas that will inspire them to think and act differently as they learn more about Vidal Sassoon and his story.
Guidelines for this contest
- Please submit your entries in English.
- Please answer the 3 questions above with a clear description and narrative so we understand what your idea is about.
- Please avoid overt links to fashion in your submission. We want your idea to be about Vidal Sassoon’s overall philosophy about liberating creativity and individuality.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.