Spread Mexx’s summer freshness by designing the packaging for Mexx Limited Editions perfume for the next three years!
What is happiness? It’s getting a dream job. It’s passing one year on holiday. It’s ticking one box on the bucket list. It’s all about those big stories. Big holidays. Big events. Or is it?
Mexx, a premium perfume brand, believes that happiness lies in the small moments of our lives. A simple surprise or a spontaneous act, such as an unexpected visit from an old friend or spotting a sunset on the way home. Getting the dream job is hard, finding true love is hard too. But appreciating the moments every day and finding joy in the ordinary is easy and simple. And these are the things that make us happy.
Mexx fragrance is sold in drugstores and supermarkets, mainly in Germany, Russia and Central Europe. Consumers are young people (18-29 years old) living in the urban areas. They are simple, carefree, curious and spontaneous. The two key fragrances are Mexx MAN and Mexx Women. The fragrances are very fresh, so they are especially appealing during summer. Every year, Mexx creates a limited edition to celebrate summer, with a specific theme. For Summer 2017, 2018 and 2019, Mexx will launch a fresh Limited Edition for Man & Woman under three themes related to SUMMER CITY MOMENTS.
For each of the three collections, Mexx wants your help to design impactful packaging and invent names for the collections.
Create arresting outer pack designs and impactful names for each of the three Limited Editions, to make them appeal to Millennial city dwellers and stand-out on shelf.
Each limited edition has a theme attached to it :
1. 2017: City Beach Cocktail
2. 2018: Urban Outdoor Festival
3. 2019: Rooftop Sunset
For each year, you need to design:
- The outer pack for Mexx Man and for Mexx Woman;
- and a name, related to the theme.
The urban context is important … the themes above are not about the feeling of enjoying a beach cocktail with friends on holiday, but a cocktail at a city beach after work, or on a summer weekend. The same everyday summer urban thinking applies to the Rooftop Sunset and (urban) Outdoor Festival themes.
The male and female Limited Editions need to work well together – they will sit next to each other on the shelf. And the design approach must be consistent over the three years, to be seen as a collection from one year to the next.
So the overall objectives are to create a consistent design identity for the 3 themes of the Limited Editions, and to attract Millenials. Be sure that your design and the names match the summery, fresh and fruity tone of the perfumes.
You only need to design the outer packaging carton, not the flacon bottle. We’re providing the flat design in the toolkit.
The design should build on one strong, single color block and the colors needs to deliver a summery freshness and remind people of the bright summer.
You should choose different colors for Mexx Man and Mexx Woman.
Please don’t use any black & white photography or dark, non-summer colors. Color photography is OK, but bear in mind that Mexx’s graphic identity is simple & contemporary.
Here’s a recap of the do's and don'ts:
“Limited Edition” text: placed wherever you want) but it should be highly visible.
Black and white photography
Fragrance name, font - Helvetica Neue Pro 75
Non-summery color tones
Logo and white frame: don’t move it, leave it as per the flat design
Dull and sad imagery
Simple & colorful design
Fits with the brand equity – fresh, urban, everyday.
In order to be consistent with former designs of Mexx Limited Edition, the Logo and white frame must stay at the same place. You cannot change the Mexx logo in any way.
Imagine yourself standing in front of the perfume shelf in the hypermarket. You are looking at hundreds of different perfumes. What attracts your attention? Mexx is looking for the packaging that stands out from others.
Your idea needs to be simple, eye catching and consistent with the Mexx brand. It should creatively interpret the themes of City Beach Cocktail, Rooftop Sunset and Outdoor Festival
Please explain your designs by telling us where the names come from, what your design communicates and why you chose these colors.
Mexx might credit the designer at the launch of the Limited Edition so be aware that this could be a great opportunity to co-design a perfume collection with a great perfume brand.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Here are two packaging for the 2014 and 2015 Limited Edition as examples. Please don’t consider them as creative directions.
2015 – Spring is Now
2014 – Summer Edition
- #1 Prize €6,000
- #2 Prize €3,000
- #3 Prize €1,000
6 page PDF including your 6 designs with short description.
The winning designs should be simple yet impactful, able to grab the attention of young people. When people pass by the shelf, they will stop to have a look and try the perfume.
Guidelines for this contest
- Your design has to be original work only.
- Make sure your entry has 6 designs of outer packaging (man and woman for each year) and 3 names (one for each Limited Edition/Year)
- Entries should be in English.
- Please use the font - Helvetica Neue Pro 75 - for the name of fragrance. If you dont have it you can also use Helvetica.
- Please use the template from Mexx Creative Toolkit and do not move the existing elements.
- Please don’t use black/white images
- Don’t use inappropriate content/language
- Please include a short explanation for every design.
- The use of third party elements is not allowed in this contest. You cannot use any materials from the Internet in your entry.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.