Make SK-II the must-have “brand for me” for young working women who love all things cool and exciting.
Rachel is a young working executive. Age 27, she has worked for a few years and is now at that crucial time of her life where she needs to prove herself and prove her worth; she’s reaching for success. She works hard every day, but she plays hard too: travel, facials, massages, the latest technology products, and definitely shopping! These are the things she does to relax and reward herself with.
For her, skincare is not just a product; it’s a lifestyle choice and she pays close attention to what she chooses because it is an extension of her personality. She desires cool, contemporary, and exciting ‘gotta-have-it’ designs that she’d want for herself or offer, as a gift to loved ones.
SK-II has created limited edition bottles in the past but moving forward they want to create even cooler and more exciting designs that young working women will love. SK-II wants to revamp their Limited Edition packs to get women like Rachel, thinking about the brand in a more relevant “it’s a brand for me” way. Can you redesign the SK-II Limited Edition packaging to appeal to this new batch of consumers who desire things that are cool and exciting?
See here the past works from SK-II:
Reinvent SK-II Limited Edition packaging that will surprise and excite young working women like Rachel, appealing to their hearts so that they’ll desire SK-II as a “brand for me” because it’s cool and exciting.
Your task today is to re-design these 3 SK-II items so that young working women will find SK-II cool and exciting:
- SK-II Facial Treatment Essence bottle. Please keep the existing shape of the bottle. (Please note that there is currently PITERA embossed on the bottle but you could remove this in your design.) You are also free to keep the existing size or propose something different (e.g., miniatures, or perhaps a collection of several designs, etc.)
- Box packaging of SK-II’s Facial Treatment Essence. You may base your idea on the current box packaging or propose something totally different.
- SK-II trial kit outer packaging that contains small sizes of SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, Facial Treatment Cleanser, Facial Treatment Cleansing Gel and R.N.A POWER Cream. Please refer to previous limited edition SK-II trial kit outer packaging options. We would like to see even more interesting ways in which you can reimagine how the trial kit can be packaged to entice women like Rachel to buy it.
Please use the SK-II logo and keep the shape of the SK-II Facial Treatment essence bottle. However, you are free to play with textures, colors, and design. You can even change the color of the logo to suit your design, the shape of the SK-II Facial Essence Treatment box, and the format of the SK-II trial kit – it could be a box, a bag, a pouch, etc. You could also design a series or a collection! What else can you think of?
Remember to think of the target audience in mind when redesigning the packaging. How would you get a young working woman to experience SK-II in a new way through its packaging?
Please answer the two questions in your entry:
- What is the rationale for your design, what is it based on?
- How does your design appeal to young working women, like Rachel?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Here are some tips to think about when designing the 3 items above for the young working executive woman, think about:
- What’s trending for the young working executive woman? What topics are they talking about right now?
- What new colors, textures, materials, and sizes can you incorporate into your design?
- These women love to repurpose – can your outer packaging be something they’ll use again and again, for example a bag or a pouch? What else can you imagine?
- Can technology play a part in how they experience SK-II? For example, could you “play” with the bottle through augmented reality devices? Or find a way to blur the lines between physical and digital to drive buzz and popularity online?
- Are there any special occasions that you can design the packaging for?
- How it looks on the counter in a shop – we’d love to see designs that will get SK-II standing out in a sea of other bottles and packs.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €2,000
- #3 Prize €1,000
- #4 Prize €1,000
- #5 Prize €500
PDF 4 pages
- 1st page your visual of the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence bottle;
- 2nd page your visual of the SK-II Facial Treatment Essence box packaging;
- 3rd page your design of the SK-II trial kit outer packaging;
- Answers to the two questions above.
SK-II will award prizes to the most interesting, exciting and surprising packaging ideas for the three items listed above, ideas that will stop young working women in their tracks and get them to purchase SK-II Facial Treatment Essence or SK-II trial kit because “it is a brand for me.”
Guidelines for this contest
- Please submit your entries in English.
- Your entry must comprise of 3 designs:
- The SK-II Facial Treatment Essence bottle;
- The SK-II Facial Treatment Essence box packaging;
- The SK-II trial kit outer packaging.
- Please also provide us with a preview of how it will look like when on the box and bottle so that it is easier to visualize.
- Please use the template for the bottle and box; and for any words or copy, use the font Capitolium. You can download them from the Creative Toolkit.
- Keep a high-resolution version of your packaging design as you will need it if your project is awarded. Winners will be ask to deliver the artwork version of their design.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.