Invent the perfect beverage solution as a daily companion for Chinese people.
In China, people have a particular habit: they like to carry their favorite beverages around with them.
What drives this habit? It starts young: Chinese parents are very attentive to the health of their children. Commercially produced drinks, like sodas or juices, are not allowed in school so every kid goes to school with a flask in their bag with a homemade beverage to help them stay hydrated. Their mum could fill it with water and a slice of lemon or another concoction. It is one way for mums to take care of their children.
When they grow up, be it at university or at work, people continue to prepare their own drinks to see them through the day. Sometimes they use herbs or flowers from traditional Chinese medicine, like honeysuckle-flower tea, which can help to prevent heat stroke and eliminates toxins, ideal when driving on a hazy day. Or it could be other beverages like a barley water drink to cool down on a hot day at the office.
In winter, people like to drink something warm, to protect their stomach. Their flasks or thermos bottles will keep their beverage warm. Since most water fountains in the office dispense warm water, they will sometimes bring an empty flask, fill it up with warm water and add their choice of ingredients.
At present, people use flasks or thermos bottles to fill up and bring with them wherever they go. But these could be heavy for kids to carry. And as an adult, preparing your own beverage is time consuming. Not to mention the seasons and different types of beverage, hot or cold, that requires a different container.
Danone Waters would like to understand how it could make the moment when a person needs to drink more relevant, more enjoyable and more effective. We need your insights and ideas to make the most of this habit.
Invent a better way for Chinese people to enjoy their favorite beverage, whenever and wherever they want.
Your idea could be for a product or a service. You could improve what exists or create something new, including a new beverage. It could be hot or cold. Something healthy or indulgent. It could be a better way to prepare and carry a home-made beverage or a ready-to-drink beverage that is more convenient. It could be a new type of bottle or flask, or an improvement on an existing one. It could be a different way to drink with a different experience. It could be designed for people of any ages. It could work for many people or just a specific group of people. You have the freedom to decide.
Choose a group of people you want to design for and put yourself in their shoes. Think about how they go about their day. Pick a moment. You know that they will have the habit of carrying a beverage with them to enjoy on the go or on the spot. How could you help them to enjoy the moment when they take in their beverage and do what they want to do better?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Example: An idea for office workers who take Chinese medicine with them to drink during the winter time. The problem is that this medicine may need to be taken at different times of the day and sometimes before or after food. There are even advice on not eating certain types of food with the tea, until the condition has improved. This is a lot to remember. Imagine a flask that is specifically designed to hold hot herbal tea for medicinal purposes to sip on the go. It has a special timer that reminds you to take a sip at regular intervals. It has a surface where you can write your herbal prescriptions, and any health advice you have been given so that you do not forget.
Another example could be designed for young children. They do not like to carry a heavy flask filled with liquid around with them for the entire day. And there are water fountains available at school. As a result, they will often leave their water bottle behind in a closet and will not drink enough. The idea is a sparkling juice that comes in a pill form. It can be used to flavor water to make it more enjoyable for children to drink. When a child is thirsty, he will put the pill into his water bottle, fill it up with water, watch it dissolve and then drink. It is fun to watch and the sparkling effect makes it more pleasurable than plain water. It is a great way to incentivize kids to stay hydrated. This also saves their Mum the hassle of preparing drinks every day.
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €3,000
- #3 Prize €2,000
- #4 Prize €1,500
- #5 Prize €1,000
- #6 Prize €500
3 pages including visual(s) with explanations.
We are looking for some good insights into a Chinese person’s daily life, with an original solution that will help him or her with their daily intake of their favorite beverage in a more convenient, relevant, joyful, and surprising way.
Guidelines for this contest
- Please submit entries in English or Chinese.
- Your idea should be for non-alcoholic beverages only.
- Please include an explanation about your idea, which includes answers to the following questions: Who did you design it for? What is the problem you are trying to solve? What moment did you choose in that person’s life? What does your new idea provide above and beyond what already exists?
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.