Spread Sumol’s sunny optimism with an engaging limited edition packaging idea!
There are moments when being young (15 to 25 years' old) isn’t easy. It’s the age of doubts and uncertainty, of first experiences, where everything is new and intense, however, young people often face challenges and obstacles that they find tough to handle. Whether it is romance issues, friends, school, work, parents or siblings, they’ve got a lot on their mind and things seem a bit hard to handle. It’s just the natural course of life and there’s nothing they can do to prevent it. The only thing they can control is the way they look at these challenges…
Sumol believes that there is always a positive angle, and life is better for those who find it. It’s all a matter of perspective! Sumol is there to give you a new perspective and show you the bright side of life. Sumol is a fruit-based carbonated soft drink that is the market leader in Portugal and present in over 50 countries. The drink really uplifts your mood, as it tastes amazing - it’s fresh, not too sweet and is full of bubbles. Sumol represents an always-positive, fun, sunny and creative attitude to life that is contagious!
Picture a young man or woman (between 15 to 25 years' old). He is thirsty and looks to buy a soft drink at a supermarket or a convenience store. This is yet another challenge to handle. There are too many drinks that are competing for his attention on the shelves. How could a Sumol can or bottle grab his attention and make him want to engage with all that Sumol stands for? We need ideas for new themes and designs!
Can you brighten young people’s mood with a simple yet impactful new packaging visual idea for a limited thematic edition that will make them want to engage with Sumol’s sunny attitude to life?
Optimism is contagious! The glass is always half full! Life is better in the sun! Surprise young people with a design that is creative, positive, fun, optimistic, enthusiastic, unpretentious, curious and truthful.
Your new design will make young people want to interact with the brand and what it stands for either physically or online.
You can choose to redesign the can or the 1.5l bottle. Please use the template provided in the guidelines. Do not reinvent the shape or come up with a new packaging format. We need your help on the visual/graphic design only.
Sumol comes in 4 flavors: lemon, passion fruit, orange and pineapple. Choose one flavor for your design. Your design will need to be applicable to all flavors.
In addition to be surprising and fun, your new visual for the packaging should work well with the Sumol logo. Think of a creative and original design, otherwise you might get a cliché entry that young people won’t connect with.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Start by thinking about what Sumol stands for. Think of themes that could be related to that.
Example: The theme could be “sunlight”. We could create a can with a reflective material that traps light and beam it like a kaleidoscope, spreading Sumol’s optimism. Someone would want to hold the can to play with the light. It will come in different colors based on flavors. Another theme could be “the jungle” with an animal print merged with the fruit flavor designs.
Bad Example: A bright orange can with a big sunshine that is smiling and the Sumol logo. It is bad as it is too expected… While the color may stand out on the shelves, a smiling sunshine is a cliché that many have already used. Why would someone want to engage with the pack or the brand? Can you stretch your creativity a bit more and truly surprise us?
- #1 Prize €1,500
- #2 Prize €600
- #3 Prize €400
1 page including your visual with some explanations.
The best entries will communicate well what Sumol stands for. People should want to touch the pack or engage with Sumol. Keep it simple, as people don’t spend much time processing information before deciding what to take from the shelves. We are looking for a surprise and a wow factor!
Your packaging design will inspire the design of a limited edition for the Sumol range.
Guidelines for this contest
- Please submit entries in English
- Third-party elements are accepted.
- Please include an explanation of your idea: What is the theme you have chosen? Why do you think it will appeal to young people? How does it express what Sumol stands for? What would make someone want to engage with the brand?
- Don’t be vulgar or offensive
- Please include the Sumol logo in your entry (download here)
- Read more about Sumol here
- Use the templates of the sleek Can or 1.5L Pet and logos for your design that are available in the Creative Toolkit.
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.