Bring to life the great shopping experience that people love, offered by Carrefour!
In 2001, when Carrefour opened its first hypermarket in Romania, it was a big event and a huge change for Romanians. At that time, Romania opened up to a new world and for three days, the single highway had to be closed as there were so many people who wanted to go to Carrefour, located off that highway.
The Carrefour Group is the leading retailer in Europe and the second-largest retailer in the world. There are brands that are loved, and some that are respected. Carrefour is one of the few “Lovemarks” - it’s both loved and respected. In Romania and elsewhere in the world, when a shopper enters a Carrefour, he/she feels a real excitement. Carrefour is part of people’s lives; people feel close to it.
What matters to customers, when it comes to grocery shopping is that the prices are low and that the retail outlet is close to where they live or work. In Romania, most Carrefour hypermarkets are located in city-centers and they’ve consistently communicated about low prices.
But, now, 14 years on, all the grocery chains in Romania advertise low prices. “Price warfare” is aggressive, so Carrefour would like to build on its trustworthy heritage, but take it further – to appeal to Romanians on a more emotional level.
The current slogan “Carrefour, For a better life!” does not reflect their key point of difference: pleasure during shopping, modernity and innovation.
Indeed, Carrefour is different from others because it has a purpose: it offers a shopping experience that people love. Enter a Carrefour in Bucharest or elsewhere in Romania and you will feel it. The atmosphere, the way products are displayed, the wide assortment of food and non-food products, the animations and the activities offered to children, the ample parking space, and their location in shopping malls - all this can’t be experienced anywhere else.
It’s different. it’s Carrefour’s way of reinventing the shopping experience – it’s so pleasant you could spend the day!
But the problem is that only people who shop at Carrefour know this! People outside the stores, those who have never experienced it, are not aware of it.
This is the role of communications – to let non-shoppers know what’s so special about Carrefour before they experience it for themselves, and to make Carrefour shoppers feel good about their choice!
Can you help Carrefour communicate what it really stands for: a great shopping experience, beyond the obvious must-haves of good prices and good locations?
Design an impactful poster and a slogan that shows that Carrefour is a unique place for fun and fulfilling shopping experiences and a retailer that people are really attached to.
Carrefour is more than just low prices and convenience- the shopper has a great shopping experience that no other Romanian retailer offers. Carrefour customers truly adore Carrefour. They are enthusiastic about going to the store and when they arrive there, some of them almost shout for joy as they are so excited to be doing their shopping there!
Your poster must visualize an idea that is out-of-the box and include:
- A key visual that shows the value of a great shopping experience at Carrefour. Your visual should be optimistic, colorful and full of life;
- A catchy tagline that sums-up your creative idea;
- Ideas on how to implement your concept for activation, special promotions and social networks.
The great shopping experience is the core of what Carrefour wants to highlight in its future communication. There are three key points that “support” this vision: trust in the best prices, pleasure during shopping and modernity.
- Trust that Carrefour always has the best prices;
- Trust that the best promotions are in Carrefour;
- Best value for money ratio.
- PLEASURE DURING SHOPPING:
- Surprising merchandising – shops are often decorated based on themes such as autumn, Christmas, Valentine's Day, store anniversary
- Animations and events – for instance belly dance lessons, sweepstakes, giant apple pies, thematic weeks , customers receiving small gifts for their birthdays or photos showing them and their children’s on special days ;
- Activities for kids – such as a LEGO playground where children can play and be supervised by a professional, while parents are shopping;
- Customers find in hypermarkets things that relax them. A Carrefour hypermarket is one of the options for spending and having a good family time.
- MODERNITY (/INNOVATION):
- Latest innovations, new products;
- Discovery of local products, recipes;
- In-store atmosphere (layout of the stores, shelves, pleasant atmosphere, nice music, pleasant lighting).
- Regular opening & re-opening of stores, integrating the latest of retail trends.
Your poster should talk to people’s hearts about a hypermarket chain that Romanians love, respect and trust for their shopping needs, and where they like to spend time.
Please don’t forget that hypermarkets must communicate price-promotions on a regular basis, so ensure your communication visual and claim can work with a simple price-promotion campaign.
The audience for your poster are men and women who look for the best prices from a retailer they can trust, but who also want to be continually surprised by what’s on offer. They go to a hypermarket every week and spend around two hours there. They are curious and ready to experiment with new things. They like to be spoiled by retailers! They want to enjoy their shopping, and feel they can trust their favorite store.
Your entry should be composed of a poster with a slogan and a page of text.
In this separate text, we ask you to:
- Explain your idea
- Tell us how your idea can be implemented beyond this visual expression. You can think of events or temporary installations, promotions and social network activities on Facebook or Instagram.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
A good idea for this contest could be a visual that shows a calendar on a smartphone. We see a close-up of a Monday. There are lots of meetings and appointments listed and at 6pm, it’s written: “Get my surprise of the day. And run errands. Location Carrefour.”
We understand that the owner of this calendar is going every day to her hypermarket to get her dose of entertainment and surprise. Of course, she buys her groceries too, but what drives her to Carrefour is the nice time she’s going to have there while she shops.
The slogan could be: “Carrefour, my village square.”
This could be developed into an online competition on Facebook where Carrefour asks its clients to post a picture of the most surprising thing they’ve seen recently while shopping at Carrefour.
A bad idea for this contest would be a poster that shows a woman smelling tomatoes in a hypermarket. The poster focuses on product freshness and does not tell the story of the great shopping experience.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Two pages: one page with your poster and slogan, one page with explanations and implementation ideas.
Our client will favor creators’ work which understands Carrefour’s point of difference and which is able to express this in an impactful manner. It’s important that you show shoppers’ deep emotional attachment, as well as the three pillars. Make sure your visual and your slogan are coherent and work together. Ideas that can be adapted to different media are a plus.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries should be in English or French.
- The slogan you’ll invent must be memorable, single-minded and quite short.
- Avoid these messages that belong to competitors:
- “This hypermarket is for me”
- “Neighbors for the last 15 years.”
- “Exactly my taste.”
- “This hypermarket knows what we like.”
- “The price difference is savings in your wallet”
- “You know why you come back.”
- “Choose wisely”
- “The hypermarket of low prices”
- “For a better life” – Carrefour Romania’s current slogan.
- Show the strong emotional connection Carrefour has with customers.
- Make sure it’s modern and impactful.
- You don’t need to be familiar with Romania to create a good entry for this contest. As long as you understand the core message, you’ll be able to provide a good idea.
- Don't focus on Carrefour's French heritage. Although the company started in France, it is now a global retailer that appeals to everyone and most people see it as their local store.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.