Change the life of 21st century French people by totally reinventing the sandwich !
France is a country where people like to eat. French people generally eat three times a day : morning, midday (lunch) and evening (dinner).
At lunchtime, while French people like to take advantage of their break to relax and enjoy an interesting, stimulating and new type of meal, they are often forced to eat quickly...and it's not a pleasure any more. Indeed, the average time spent on lunch is 30 minutes. This is not long. Because work requires a sustained rhythm, because people are moving around more frequently, because budgets are limited. When French people don't have time, they turn spontaneously to a sandwich. A sandwich is also a symbolic meal in France because it is made with bread, and everyone knows how French people love bread! Everyone in France eats sandwiches. Except that, in 2015, they are less and less inspiring. People are tired of them, they are monotonous, boring, predictable and stress-linked: 'I don't have the time, I'm not tempted, I'm in a rush, it's not a super meal but you have to eat. Too often people buy a sandwich because they have to eat. An too often the sandwich is not a pleasure to eat. Finally, sandwiches have not changed...whereas French people have and they have new expectations for their snack meal!
Daunat is a French company which has been producing sandwiches for more than 20 years and aims to reinvent the sandwich to please all French sandwich fans...these fans who are rather bored.
Imagine a delicious new generation of Daunat sandwiches to totally transform the meal break and make it part of the new modern lifestyle.
French consumers, lifestyles, expectations and tastes have also changed. Daunat wants to transform your sandwich-eating time into a moment of pleasure and surprise. Ask yourself how you can change this ordinary part of your day which is forgotten as soon as it's over, into a practical, and above all, a pleasant time.
Your work must be based on an iconic recipe which French people love: roast chicken with mayonnaise and salad. WARNING : This is not a recipe contest! You have to invent what's around you: new types of sandwich, or new methods of preparing them or new uses to transform the common sandwich.
A sandwich is a fresh product, comprising a container or a base, usually made of bread. Inside the bread is the chicken, salad (lettuce, tomato, egg) and mayonnaise. In fact all sandwiches are composed in the same way: a container, a filling and a sauce.
It is generally eaten held in one or both hands, while walking, sitting at a desk, in the street, or while driving.
Often, when you choose a sandwich, in the supermarket, you don't know what to choose, they are all rather similar ... and you end up with the same one you chose last time. Simply because the choice is not inspiring enough, so that consumers are rather dismissive about them. This is why Daunat is looking for new sandwiches to inspire French consumers and provide them with an enjoyable snack as they take their break.
It's an exciting challenge! You'll be helping to change French fast lunches! You can create sandwiches which are more practical, more fun, less monotonous, more connected to the modern world. In any case, different from the current offer...
But bear the constraints in mind:
- The ingredients for your creation must form a container such as bread (but can be something else) and must include chicken, salad and a light seasoning.
- It's a cold sandwich.
- Think of it as an individual snack, eaten on the move (you are not at table, rarely at home).
- Your sandwich will be sold in the self-service cold section of a supermarket (not on sale in the street or on public transport).
- It must be practical and fast to eat.
- It is wrapped in plastic; you can invent new shapes, new ways of handling it ...But the material stays the same.
- It is the 'heart of the meal' so it must be sufficiently filling without making people feel 'stuffed'.
- It is eaten with the fingers, no cutlery.
Daunat is a major player in a sector which has been searching for innovations to satisfy its customers for a long time. In 2009, mini-sandwiches tempted women with small appetites by providing a more appropriate offer. In 2011 Daunat launched wraps before anyone else!
Your contribution must include one or more visuals, a name and a paragraph describing your idea.
Tell us exactly:
- How it provides a new experience. What does your sandwich have which the current offer in France is lacking?
- What problem or frustration does your sandwich solve?
- What happens at each stage of the relationship between a French person and their sandwich when they come to eat it: choosing, storing, opening, eating it and then disposing of the packaging: describe the whole experience
- How will your idea surprise people?
You can take part even if you are not familiar with French dietary practices. Study how French people eat sandwiches and off you go!
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
An example of a bad idea: an organic sandwich. It's not new and it doesn't transform the snack break.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
A 4-page presentation at most, with illustrative visuals and text. (PDF)
Daunat will reward really creative ideas which reinvent the sandwich experience (manipulation, appearance, how it feels in your mouth, ...) while respecting the required constraints. Their aim is to make French people fall in love with the sandwich all over again. All innovative, fun and unexpected ideas have a chance, as long as you stick to the brief.
Guidelines for this contest
- The Daunat logo and photos of current sandwiches can be downloaded from the toolkit.
- You must stick to the recipe provided for this contest in every detail: roast chicken mayonnaise. Your idea will be refused if this is not the case.
- Remember that the final product developed by Daunat will be sold in the self-service cold section of the supermarket.
- It must be practical and fast to eat.
- There is a plastic packaging.
- The Daunat brand signature is: 'The snack of your dreams'.
- Entries accepted in French and English.
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.