Can you create an ad for coffee flavored-milk that appeals to a man’s interests, rather than his stomach?
You can download a toolkit from here to feature the product in your entry but, remember, it should not be the star. The focus should be on a theme, interest, passion, context or lifestyle that connects the Barista Bros. brand with men like Riley.
Changes to brief, format and end date
With the feedback gathered, we have reworked the brief and change the format. Here are the changes in a glance.
1) Change of format to 'Poster with tagline'.
2) Change of 3 mandatory questions.
3) Focus is now on a theme, interest, passion, context or lifestyle that connects the brand and men like Riley.
Let me introduce you to Riley. He is Australian. The guy next door. He’s not the ultra “blokey” guy who’s got no other interest apart from rugby, or spends all his spare time behind a computer screen gaming online. He’s optimistic, balanced, down-to-earth. He has a great sense of humor and doesn’t take himself too seriously. Riley loves his job but it doesn’t define who he is. He enjoys hanging out with his mates over a pint, or firing up the barbecue to cook a good steak with friends. He appreciates the good things in life but it’s not about being extravagant – flashy and showy is something he’s not. He loves a good coffee but he’s not a coffee snob.
Often, he doesn’t have the time to go to a café with his mates. He’s looking for that quick, no fuss pick-me-up that tastes great and quells the little growls in his stomach that say “feeeeed me”. That is when he likes to drink flavored milk.
Barista Bros. is an Australian café-inspired flavored milk drink that coffee gourmets in South America, the home of Arabica coffee, approve of. It is made with 100% Arabica coffee and real cocoa, and is available in three delicious flavors: “Iced Coffee”, “Double Strength Iced Coffee” and “Iced Chocolate”. Just like Riley, Barista Bros. is fun and down to earth. It offers both the authentic taste and quality of good coffee or chocolate, and the feeling of full until the next meal.
Here is the challenge: Riley doesn’t like advertising that pushes products and brands. He prefers it when brands match his interests, passions and lifestyle. How can we let Riley know that Barista Bros. is the perfect flavored milk for a man like him?
Can you create a poster with a tagline for Barista Bros. flavored milk that will appeal to the passions, interests and lifestyle of men like Riley, without talking about milk and coffee?
What would you bring to life to raise his interest for this drink he doesn’t yet know about, yet without talking about the product? Could you imagine what one of Riley’s interests or passions might be? How would that connect with Barista Bros.?
We want you to excite us with engaging and impactful creative posters that will convince people to try Barista Bros. flavored milk without talking about the product itself.
Please answer the following three questions along with your entry:
- What is your idea or topic about?
- Why would it connect with a man like Riley?
- Why would it work with a brand like Barista Bros.?
We are looking for engaging posters to convince optimistic, balanced, down-to-earth Australian guys that Barista Bros. flavored milk is great, apart from talking about milk and coffee.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Remember, the topics in your poster should resonate with an optimistic, down-to-earth guy who appreciates good quality but isn’t a snob about it.
Avoid an over-“blokey” tone of voice and any arrogance or snobbery. Barista Bros. is not exclusively for the elite; it’s an accessible experience of a café in a bottle.
Don’t use any overt references to coffee, e.g. coffee beans, bags of coffee, coffee machines as it is not an iced coffee – Barista Bros. is a flavored milk that comes in “Iced Coffee,” “Double Strength Iced Coffee,” and “Iced Chocolate” flavors.
You can feature the product in your entry but it is not the star. The focus should be on a theme, interest, passion, context or lifestyle that connects the brand and men like Riley.
If you use people in your poster, do not refer to them as “The Barista Bros.”. You may portray them as being representatives of Barista Bros. but you can’t call them “The Barista Bros.” outright.
Example of a good entry: a poster that shows a guy drinking Barista Bros. on a park bench. It is sunny, and he is taking a break. He has a book about learning the guitar on his lap. He’s just made new friends, who passed by and stopped as they were intrigued by his book and his cool demeanor. They are having a good laugh together. The idea is that Barista Bros. is a connector, a good way to meet people around a shared passion (here, playing the guitar). It makes the moment warmer and friendlier. Barista Bros. could make difficult topics more approachable with its special down to earth, friendly attitude.
Example of a bad entry: convincing a non-drinker of Barista Bros. flavored milk to try it because of its taste and that it is made with 100% Arabica coffee and real cocoa just won’t work because it’s too pushy. What other topics could you use to entice him to give the brand a try and ultimately convince him that Barista Bros. is great?
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Poster with a page of explanation to answer the 3 questions (PDF).
Barista Bros. will award the most original posters that will inspire their digital and social media campaign, ideas that inspire original and sustainable conversations and will appeal to flavored milk drinkers who drink both for taste and to fill their stomachs. Above all, we are looking for topics, themes, interests that will engage people like Riley that are beyond milk and coffee.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries should be in English.
- Submit a tagline as well with your poster.
- Please avoid an overly “blokey” tone of voice, arrogance or snobbery.
- Barista Bros. is an “iced coffee flavored milk” or an “iced chocolate flavored milk”. You must not refer to it as an “iced coffee”.
- You must not show overt coffee references such as coffee beans, bags of coffee, coffee machines, etc.
- Any persons used in your poster must not be called “The Barista Bros.” outright or be represented as actual baristas.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.