Help HUGO attract Millenials with your breakthough ideas
Everyone likes to smell good. A scent can make you feel confident and ready to do great things. It makes you feel seductive and expresses your personality, or your mood. On every occasion, perfuming yourself will have an impact on you and the people around you. Perfume is powerful. Yet young people don’t buy perfume anymore. Why not? There are many reasons for this.
They just don’t think about it, it’s not part of their daily routine. They don’t know why they should pay for something that is not visible for themselves or others.
They don’t understand how fragrance should be used and how it’s made.
They don’t feel close at all to what perfume represents. This could be due to the communication for fragrances that is either based on very special occasions (men wearing tuxedos, women in galas etc.) or dreamy and fantasy worlds. Messages of these adverts are perceived as out of touch. People in the ads are unrealistic and not inspiring to young people.
The product in itself is perceived as being fragile and not easy to carry.
Fragrance shops are not places where young people like to go. Young men can even be scared to go to these places.
The brand HUGO creates fragrances that are a “fresh boost for everyday life situations”. It is young and innovative. HUGO wants to connect with young people by creating a new fragrance product or a new solution (whatever this may be) that will be relevant to them and linked to the way they live.
So… do you think you can find the way to make young people try fragrances again?
Invent the next breakthrough fragrance innovation that Millennials will find irresistible.
We are looking for new ways to package, use or sell fragrances. Not just a new scent. But a new fragrance product or solution.
Your entry must include:
- a well detailed idea for a new HUGO fragrance product/solution. You can invent the product, the packaging, the way it is worn, the way people buy it, try it, adopt it…
- the story behind: where your inspiration comes from, what frustrations you’re solving.
Any idea that does not answer these questions will not be accepted into the contest.
Your fragrance idea could be for men, women or unisex. It has to be premium to fit the HUGO brand.
Think out of the box! Beyond just a new scent! HUGO is ready to make big changes to appeal to the generation of 16-25 year olds. As long as it remains premium, any idea that will make your product a big must-have is good.
Your idea is a breakthrough solution that enables every young man or woman to smell nice in everyday situations. It is something easy, modern and connected to the actual way of life of Millennials.
There are many areas where you can innovate: the perfume itself, the packaging, the place where it’s purchased, the way people use it, what it does to people, how it’s useful etc.
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Should fragrances remain in glass bottles? Could they be worn all day long on a bracelet for instance?
Why always have the same color? This white-gold liquid seems a bit outdated, don't you think?
Should fragrances still be sold in overly-feminine and clinical perfume shops? Could we rent fragrances? Could we get subscriptions in order to try several types before choosing one?
Could fragrances be sold where young people are? In bars? In university vending machines? At hairdressers'? (but avoid suggesting selling them in supermarkets- they are premium products)
You can think about how the invention of the Kindle has changed books and the way we read. We don’t go to book shops anymore but we download reading material and carry it along with us.
What about Nespresso? Crazy to see how the coffee world – full of traditions -, has evolved. With the invention of a new product, new machines, membership and delivery processes Nespresso has created a true disruption.
Do you know Feelunique.com? They ship to your door any beauty product because they know men and women simply don’t have time to go shopping for skin care or deodorants… or can’t stand beauty corners.
This is the kind of ideas we are looking for!
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €2,000
- #3 Prize €2,000
- #4 Prize €1,000
- #5 Prize €1,000
Presentations with illustrations and text (6 pages max)
We will only accept truly disruptive and premium ideas into the contest.
The jury will award the ideas that have the potential to become a huge success and to attract young people into fragrances and HUGO.
Guidelines for this contest
- Stay true to HUGO’s brand vision: an understated elegance, where beauty is expressed through the principle of “less is more”.
- Don’t come with the solution to change product form into deodorants. Our client still wants to sell fragrance.
- Perfume should not be sold in cheap supermarkets.
- Any idea should be technically feasible within the next 10 years.
- Explain your idea in detail and give it a name.
- Remember to create an idea and to answer the mandatory questions: where your inspiration comes from, what frustrations you’re solving.
- You can download the logo from the toolkit.
- Entries should be in English.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.