Help McCain invent the future of frozen potatoes!
In today’s society many people lead busy and hectic lives. Rushing between work and home…and, when it’s time for dinner they don’t always have the time or the will to cook their everyday meals from scratch.
As a result they tend to choose meal options that are quick and easy to prepare but at the same time taste delicious and are something they can share with their family or household.
They also look for quick and easy hot snacks for themselves and others to enjoy
Typically, these people (single young adults or families with kids of all ages) love frozen food, because it’s convenient, tasty, fun, easy, filling and comforting!
McCain is the leading brand in frozen food. From pizzas to fries, it offers busy consumers accessible and tasty ways to create everyday enjoyable meals and snacks
Frozen potatoes come in many forms: chips, fries, wedges, hash browns, slices, roasts, jackets and nuggets.
Do you think it is possible to create new and exciting product and packaging ideas that will appeal to our target?
Invent the future of frozen potatoes: create an original product and/ or packaging idea that does not exist in supermarkets today.
Design a frozen potato product that will appeal to people who often do not have the time, skills or desire to cook from scratch, and therefore seek easy, convenient and tasty hot food.
McCain is interested in new formats and shapes, new flavors and textures, new ways to cook and serve / heat and eat, and new packaging ideas.
Your concept must be sold in supermarkets, in the frozen section. It shouldn’t be take-away food you buy from a restaurant or other outlet.
It’s not a full meal, just a side dish, exactly like frozen fries are.
Or it could also be a hot snack that is good for enjoying by yourself or with others.
It should not contain meat or fish. Other additional ingredients are ok, as long as it is a potato-based product. Seasonings are fine too.
Please give your product a name. It should be able to fit the McCain brand.
In addition to visual illustrations, please also give details about your idea - we want to understand who it is for, how it’s used, eaten and potentially shared. We want to know where your inspiration comes from and why you think this idea is the winning concept, depending on the target. (See context for details on the target)
Please ensure that you create your entry with a benefit in mind. Here are some benefits that you can consider. You don’t have to consider all of them, it might just be one or you might think of your own benefit:
- It’s something which can be enjoyed when you want a treat
- It’s indulgent, a “premium” pleasure
- It’s an exciting change from the usual
- It’s something a little special, for a special occasion
- It fills you up quickly
- It’s filling enough to keep you going until the next meal
- It helps create a good meal when you don’t have much time
- It’s ideal when you do not know how to prepare a meal
- Has a flavoursome coating / seasoning
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them literally in your submission or it will be rejected.
Think about our target. The people you want to design a product for.
Your product idea could be for families, or could be for single people/couples. In either case, they are looking for similar kinds of products (tasty, fast and easy). If they are families, they need products that are suitable for everyone – themselves, their partners AND their children. Families are concerned with keeping their kids happy, so your product idea might actually be focused on kids or teenagers.
Others don’t have kids – so they will be need a more adult-focused product.
Then start thinking about a new frozen potato product and imagine how you can innovate in terms of one or more of the following:
- The taste and/or composition of the product
- The way it is cooked and/or served
- The packaging
An idea for this contest could be ‘mashed potato poppers’ – bite sized pieces of fluffy mashed potato with a crunchy coating that you just need to heat in the oven and then serve as a snack or side dish for a main meal. Or it could be a packaging idea that helps make crispy microwavable fries or chips.
Think about whether this product is single-serve, for two people or for the whole family. Take into consideration that freezer space can be limited so packaging ideas need to bear that in mind.
Ideas for packaging could just be for storing the product, but could also be used as the dish used to cook the product in and/or serve the product.
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €2,000
- #3 Prize €2,000
- #4 Prize €1,500
- #5 Prize €500
Presentation with illustrations & text (4 pages max)
We are looking for innovative and breakthrough concepts. Invent product and/or packaging ideas that would change the frozen potato world forever and will make people think “McCain” when they look for easy and comforting food.
Guidelines for this contest
- You can submit either a new product idea or a packaging idea based on existing McCain products. Or, of course, your idea can include new products and packaging.
- Remember, our consumers live very busy and hectic lives and are looking for food they can really enjoy. Your idea must be really unique and not something that already exists.
- Product ideas are designed for Australia, but this should not restrict or influence your creativity.
- Stay in line with the brand’s personality which is: down to earth, proud, welcoming and joyful.
- You can use the McCain logo from the toolkit.
- Entries must be no longer than 4 pages, including a cover page if you would like to include one.
- Entries are to be in English please
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.