Turn coffee into a hip, sought-after Chinese New Year gift.
Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, is the most important event for the Chinese population (like Christmas in the Western world). It is a time for families, friends and colleagues to gather and celebrate the start of the New Year, wishing each other good health, longevity, luck, happiness and wealth. Exchanging carefully-chosen gifts is customary to send New Year wishes and to share happiness among friends, relatives and colleagues.
Many companies go out of their way to create unique, limited-edition gift packages for their products, to transform them into desirable New Year presents. That even applies to everyday items such as coffee. While tea remains the most popular drink, young, educated people from 20 to 35 years old are starting to enjoy drinking coffee, especially the instant type that comes in jars, sachets or sticks, like Nescafe’s products (view here). Now we need your help to transform Nescafé’s instant coffees into a cool and sophisticated gift for Chinese New Year, to send best wishes and sharing happiness among friends, colleagues and relatives.
Create a cool yet aspirational and sophisticated Chinese New Year gift pack for Nescafé instant coffees that will become the most talked-about present among young (20 to 35), educated Chinese during social gatherings.
You can focus on either the ready-mixes that come in sachets or sticks or the pure instant coffee that comes in jars or sachets. People will want to buy your limited-edition pack to send New Year wishes and they will probably drink the coffee with friends, colleagues or family. As coffee drinkers in China tend to be educated, young and trendy, your design needs to be modern, sophisticated and fashionable, while of course being in tune with the Chinese New Year celebration, showing quality and importance as a mark of respect for the gift recipient.
Do not reinvent the actual product’s shape or materials (the sachet, the jar or the sticks). You can suggest ideas for the artwork design on these sachets, labels or jars and of course focus your creative energy on putting them into another, original Chinese New Year gift pack. This could be a box, pack or any form of “container” for the products, as well as add any item you feel would deliver a great Chinese New Year coffee experience.
In addition to a gift idea, tell us the story about why people would buy it, find it desirable and how they would use it.
You can see pictures of Nescafé ready-mix sachets, sticks and jars here.
Nescafé has already launched some gift packs in the past that you can see here. We want you to come up with something better, more original and more unique.
These examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Imagine a gift pack with a golden Chinese fortune-telling compass (which looks like a big dial). On the dial there are different types of coffee, and personality types. People can find out what the best coffee flavor for them is according to their personality. The pack includes a variety of coffee flavours to match each individual. People will have fun when they are together, finding out what type of personality they have and what coffee they should be drinking, and compare it with their friends. They may even want to talk about it on social media, creating further buzz.
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €3,000
- #3 Prize €1,000
Presentations with pictures or illustrations and text. (PDF only)
Do not suggest just adding a free cup and a booklet to a wooden box... We are looking for original gift pack ideas that will really get young people in China to notice and talk about them and want to give or receive them.
Your gift-pack idea could be turned into a real pack that will be launched in China for Chinese New Year 2015.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries are accepted in English and Chinese
- Include the Nescafé logo in your creation.
- Nescafé is a leading coffee brand so your gift idea must reflect its quality and expertise.
- Colour codes: use colours that are coffee- or Chinese New Year-related (brown, red, gold, etc.). Do not use blue or green as these are used by competitors. Don’t use white or black are these have different connotations in Chinese culture and are not used for celebrations, but for mourning.
- Tell us the story of why people would buy your special Chinese New Year Nescafé gift pack, find it desirable and how would they use it.
- Do not make it too expensive to produce or too impractical to store on a supermarket shelf.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.