Turn the 10 Arabic numerals into more than just mathematic symbols!
Arabic numerals are probably the most universal symbols in the world. They are recognized and shared by more people in the world than any other symbol. They are widely used and indispensible tools used to mark time, calculate, solve puzzles and elaborate useful information. However, beyond these uses, the simplicity and artistic beauty of these figures have been rarely celebrated.
Have you ever captured those beautiful moments in life when random objects align to form the shape and figure of one of the 10 numerals in an unexpected or inspiring way, or the expression of the numeral happens to become a piece of art that tells a story or arouses tremendous emotions?
Create a series of creative and visually striking artwork representing the 10 Arabic numerals (from 0 to 9) to show us that numerals can tell meaningful stories and express passion and emotions.
Capture those beautiful moments when random living beings have formed the exquisite shape of a numeral, or when the numeral is expressed in such an artistic and creative way that it represents more than its mathematical meaning. Your work must be creative, visually striking and tasteful, and the numeral figure should be easily recognized and well crafted. The task is to create a series of artwork including each and every one of the 10 numerals, to make numerals more expressive.
These examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission, or it will be rejected.
You can go to http://ticktackstudio.jp/gallery/ to look for inspiration and examples for making numerals more creative and fun. Think about how to manipulate everyday objects to create exquisite or fun expressions of the numerals and show your passion and creative thinking, e.g. use candies creatively to form the figure of the numeral, or create human body sculptures to form the figures and reveal their emotion. You can also look through your photo albums for inspiration or moments when the numerals have been embedded in the scenery, or you can integrate the numerals in your photos and stories.
- #1 Prize €2,000
- #2 Prize €1,000
- #3 Prize €500
- #4 Prize €500
- #5 Prize €500
- #6 Prize €500
- #7 Prize €500
- #8 Prize €500
- #9 Prize €500
- #10 Prize €500
Photo, illustration or print with explanations
We expect a highly original series of artwork that brings numerals to life and embeds passion, emotions, creativity and story-telling into the figures.
The winning entry will be rewarded and all entries will be gathered in the “tick tack studio” gallery to help to create an ever-changing clock.
Guidelines for this contest
- Your entry must be high quality visuals. And you have to explain your ideas/thoughts in the description.
- Please try to complete your work with 10 pieces of artwork, one for each of the numerals (0 to 9), this will increase your chance to win.
- In every piece of artwork, the numeral has to be the hero.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.