Show us what happens when a potato-based product is put in the microwave!
From backyard BBQs and birthday parties to informal picnics, Lay’s (also known as Walker’s, Smiths and Sabritas) is there to share the moments. It’s no wonder these delicious and perfectly crispy potato chips have been America’s favorite snack for 75 years. Lay’s is part of every party.
But it seems that since technology is everywhere, family time has changed a bit…
Picture this: members of a family are sitting together in a kitchen. Physically together but each of them is busy looking at their tablet or smartphone. They are together, but not connected. Suddenly, the elder brother takes a new potato-based product out of the microwave and puts it on the table. They all suddenly look up from their screens. It’s a salty snack to be shared, that each family member can personalize, customize and eat. It’s delicious and so inventive! It connects the family back together. It makes them share and talk, it creates bonding moments.
Now, tell us: what is it?
Invent what’s next! Create a new microwavable potato-based food product that the whole family will enjoy sharing at snack times.
Your innovative foodstuff should be central to an interactive experience; something that people can customize, personalize and share.
Keep in mind that this product will be created by Lay’s. It has to be fun and appetizing. It should appeal to a broad group of people. It is for the family or friends to share.
Please take time to explain what your idea is about and how it connects people. Do not dwell on the technical aspects of the preparation, but wow us with a concept that will bring snacking to a new level!
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
You are free to create your own inventive potato-based product. There are not many restrictions.
Your product can use ideas from other types of products like dips, frozen appetizers, breakfast foods, sweets & desserts. You can use any additional flavorings – salty or sweet like dips, herbs, spices etc.
It can be a snack, a mini meal, part of the meal, a substantial meal… anything!
You are free to find the best way to consume for your product.
A good entry for this contest could be a product that initially has the shape of a small ball and when placed in the microwave and heated for 3 minutes, becomes as big and flat as a plate and looks like a cake. You take it out of the microwave and place it on the table. Each person at the table can add a spread (sweet, sour, etc.)
Then, they sprinkle crisps over the cake. You turn it upside down and cut it into slices. Each person gets a slice and decides whether to try others’ creations or to stick to their own.
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Presentations with pictures or illustrations and text. (PDF only)
We will only accept entries that propose inventive ideas for a microwavable potato-based product. It has to unite families (or groups of friends.) Awards will go to ideas that best meet these criteria while being truly creative and true to Lay’s personality.
Guidelines for this contest
- It’s not about heating a basic potato chip. Please look beyond what already exists and invent your own product!
- The product can be prepared at home by the consumer or in a store by an assistant.
- Do not use too many local ingredients.
- Please download the Lay’s Logo and add it to your idea.
- Entries have to be in English
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.