Shake up Hot Nuts’ peanuts packaging for teens!
Teenagers (generally between 15 and 18) are always looking to discover new things. They like to take risks and they want to be seen as trendsetters. Their motto in life could be “I look for what’s next/ I look forward” (“estar en lo quesigue” in Spanish)
Hot Nuts is a Mexican product owned by the brand Barcel that teenagers love because it’s a way to enjoy peanuts differently. Hot Nuts is a unique combination of flavors and textures: a soft, sweet chili flavored coating with crunchy peanuts inside. The brand is synonymous with innovation and originality.
There are three flavors of Hot Nuts:
- Fuego is the spiciest flavor. It embodies the personality of the Barcel brand because no other product has a flavor like this. It is an iconic spicy flavor.
- Euphoria is a flavor with lime and green chili.
- Multintenso is the original flavor, it combines lime and red chili but it’s only mildly spicy. This product is the star and the package has a strong recognition for teens, it is the oldest and most loved packaging.
All three have a combination of flavors and textures: crunchy peanuts with a soft chili coating.
These products come in 50g individual packets that are mostly eaten by one person while spending time with friends: either at school, whilst travelling or at home. Hot Nuts is a snack to keep you going and energized until your next meal.
The current packaging of these products lacks inventiveness and could be improved in order to become even more loved by teenagers. We need to evolve the concept to appeal to forward-thinking young people.
Put yourself in the shoes of a teenager (15-18 years old) and create an inventive and trendy packaging idea for the brand Hot Nuts and its three products.
We are looking for one strong packaging idea to be applied to three products (detailed in the context) with slightly different identities. This means that you need to find one packaging concept that will be applied differently according to the product: Fuego, Euphoria and Multintenso, ensuring that the red Hot Nuts logo stays the same. You can also rename the flavors to strengthen the brand identity.
You are free to propose the concept, the shape and the design of the packaging.
Classic nuts are usually enjoyed at home and tend to have a basic, salty taste. Hot Nuts is different: the different flavors are much more interesting to teenagers and may make them feel unique and special while eating them, attracting the attention of others. Think about the main interests that teenagers often have and possible links to the product. It is important to show how the target consumer is feeling while eating it.
As teenagers consume the products in the company of friends, there may be a way to use the product as a link between them instead of keeping it as just a personal pleasure. Think about how to use the product to engage a group of friends around a common passion or interest.
Finally, think about what are the different attitudes and feelings that teenagers can experience when they are hanging out in a group – they could be relaxed, energized, chilling out…
Develop these ideas and apply them to the three products, then change the names accordingly if necessary.
- #1 Prize €4,000
- #2 Prize €2,000
- #3 Prize €900
Pictures, illustrations, sketches with explanations.
We will award the most original creations and those that display a strongly appealing product and a good interaction with the person who eats the peanuts. The quality of the execution does not matter, as the idea behind the packaging is more important.
Guidelines for this contest
You must respect three Hot Nuts brand design codes:
- Flames: Package designs must include flames. You’re free to refresh or redesign them.
- Colors: The packages must use the colors red and yellow, but other colors could also be added. Chosen colors should refer to fire, intensity and heat and look modern and trendy.
- Product shot: Both to show the consistency, innovation and originality of Hot Nuts and triggers cravings.
- None of the three flavors are currently associated with any particular personality or element, hence why you have the freedom to propose a new concept and give each flavor its own personality, without forgetting that there are part of the same brand (the three packages must look coherent).
- While creating your entry, keep in mind the brand’s personality: youthful, trendy, joyful.
- Please use the logo and product shots from the toolkit.
- It is very important to maintain the red Hot Nuts logo on all the packages
- Hot Nuts are eaten individually, not shared.
- The product costs US$ 0,60.
- The future pack should not necessitate a price increase for the product.
- The package must protect peanuts from humidity and sunlight.
- Please provide a description of your idea, in the media description or in the media, in English or Spanish.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.