Turn culture shock into a hit TV show!
When familiar social cues are no longer present, we talk about human interaction and culture shock. It is the feeling of being in front of someone different, parachuted into a place; a situation or a special setting that disturbs us. Situations where culture shock occurs could be: a very strict mum having to take care of unruly children, a tourist landing on the other side of the world, people from opposite backgrounds falling in love with each other, conflicts between the new vs. old generation… While culture shock can be painful, it also has a positive impact. It is a way to open your world to new things and learn from others.
Culture shock makes great TV moments! Indeed, TV programs such as Wife Swap, Farmer Wants a Wife, Real Housewives and Next are a great success.
People love to see how others manage tricky situations - it can be fun to watch yet very emotional. Also, for others, the program is not taken seriously but with a sense of irony.
A huge free TV broadcaster is looking for ideas for the next very big thing on TV!
Your challenge is to think about an idea for a new TV program based around human interactions with a dose of culture shock that is original, not an imitation of an existing program!
Explain your idea in a text document or presentation.
As it is entertainment, your program ideas need to provoke feelings: to make people laugh, dream, or cry. The show might continue for several weeks so there must be a reason why people would tune in regularly.
The ideal program idea will be centered on human interaction, culture shock and/or generation shock. It needs to have a positive and/or constructive purpose, to highlight exchanges between people. It has to tap into social issues.
Your idea should encourage viewers to use social networks while watching. Please tell us how this could happen.
The viewer of your show should definitely be able to identify with the characters and would maybe even want to take part in the show.
As well as your idea we also want to know the inspiration behind it – what made you think of it? Was it a personal experience, a news article, maybe a film? Please tell us why you believe your idea will resonate with so many people.
TIPS: We are giving you examples to help you understand what we expect. Please do not copy these in your contest entry as it will be rejected.
An example of an entry could be the description of a TV show in which an old rich family welcome a young homeless girl into their home for a week. How could this change their lives? What are the ups and downs we might witness over that week? How would a person watching this show react? What would they think and feel? Why should the audience keep watching the show week after week?
- #1 Prize €3,000
- #2 Prize €1,500
- #3 Prize €500
Print: Text documents or presentations that you might like to enhance with photos or illustrations.
We will select entries based on new and original ideas, using the basic framework of human exchanges.
We are looking for TV program ideas that are entirely new, innovative and groundbreaking. We will not accept entries that are adaptations of existing TV shows.
The quality of the execution is not particularly important. We are primarily interested in ideas: there is no need to provide a lot of detail as long as your entry is original and innovative!
Guidelines for this contest
- Your idea could be any program genre: game show, “emotainment” (an emotional surprise), comedy, centered on famous people, talent research, reality TV, magazine, docudrama, makeover, talk show etc.
- By TV program, we mean an entertainment show that could be broadcast on TV either every day in the early evening or every week, at prime time.
- Your program idea must be repeatable, meaning that you could have several different episodes broadcast daily or weekly following the same format.
- Your program idea will be recorded before broadcast (no live shows allowed) and may be broadcast again at a later date so it should not be reliant on a specific time period.
- Your program idea should encourage viewers to use social networks while watching.
- Your target audience is people aged under 50.
- Your program idea should be addictive and entice the viewer to watch every episode.
- Please give a title to your idea.
- We’re really interested to know how you got the idea and why you think it would appeal to a lot of people. Please provide any inspiration or reference points such as personal experience/books/articles/ films etc.
- Don’t include any idea that promotes racism, xenophobia, violence or homophobia.
- Your entry must be in English or French.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not include any personal details in your entry (name, contact number, e-mail address etc.)
- Keep a high-quality version of your creation to be used if you are selected as a winner.
- Your media has to be your own creation in order to be considered in the contest.
- You must have obtained written permission from each of the authors who have contributed to the media.
- Media that does not comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.