Amaze tourists with a story that discovers the spirit of Japan
A visitor to Japan sets him or herself on a journey of endless discovery. From the unique character of the Japanese people and their creation born of meticulousness, to the beauty of common life, celebrating both the simplest and the most sophisticated things, Japan never fails to leave an unforgettable impression on its visitors' senses and soul.
There is so much to discover about Japan’s spirit, but there are 3 unique aspects of Japan that most impress visitors.
The first one is the character of Japanese people. They are sincere, disciplined and well mannered even during difficult times. Reserved but kind, they are considerate and warm even towards people they don't know.
Secondly, there are the creations of Japanese people. Born out of people's creativity, meticulousness and appreciation for beauty and nature, these creations by artisans and experts are made using traditional inherited skills but are also infused with modern culture and innovation.
But what surprises visitors most is the pleasure derived from the common life in Japan. Visitors can always find pleasure in everything, from the passing of the seasons to the small details that make one's life so convenient.
It makes you wonder why the country is not on every traveller’s "must visit" list...
Using one of our "slice of Japan" pictures or videos as an inspiration and a building block, create an original and engaging story that shows the surprising discoveries a traveller could encounter in Japan. We want you to amaze, enchant and engage people and inspire them to visit the country.
The “slice of Japan” pictures and videos demonstrate one of the 3 aspects we explained in the brief (character, creation and common life). Click here to get more information about these 3 unique aspects of Japan and access to our photos selection for the 3 categories. Choose a picture or video that most inspires you from our selection or choose another one from this online library (Video: http://japanvideos.jp/en/; Photo: http://japan-photo.jnto.go.jp/eng/index.php).
Either think about what could happen next following this video/picture, or use them as part of the story. What surprising discovery, encounter, moment would make their journey unforgettable, and make a great story a tourist could tell their friends back home so that they too would like to visit Japan?
Tips from eYeka: (we are not giving the answers but just thought starters so please do not make your work look exactly like our examples)
It’s not a problem if you haven’t visited Japan before. Everyone has a basic idea of Japan and Japanese culture, so use your imagination! You could start by picking a video or picture, for example a street in Kyoto where women carrying the latest smart phones are still wearing traditional kimonos. Close your eyes and imagine that you entered this picture or video. You are now in that street... what surprising thing could happen that would touch you, interest you and fascinate you so much that you would definitely remember it as one of the highlights of your trip? Or if you had picked a picture of Harajuku with lots of video-games parlors, imagine that you were transported there, starting a game you have never seen before with stunning graphics... then turning around to find out that the people behind you are actually dressed up like the characters of the game (cosplay).
- #1 Prize €8,000
- #2 Prize €5,000
- #3 Prize €2,000
Videos & animations no longer than 60 seconds that have integrated one of the videos or pictures provided here.
We will award the best quality videos with the most engaging story, that really show creativity in imagining a great, plausible story of a surprising encounter or discovery that could happen in the Japanese setting you have chosen. We are looking for videos where viewers will pause and think, "Wow, that's amazing...", and wish they could be there too.
Japan Tourism Associations all over the world will display the videos online in order to promote tourism to the country.
Guidelines for this contest
- Your video has to be of good quality. We will reject entries that do not reach a good standard of execution.
- Your video or animation must include one of the videos or pictures provided here, as this will be a part of your imagination and your story. People need to see what inspired you.
- Your creation needs to be in English or with English subtitles
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.