Introducing Queso Fresco to a new world
When you walk into the dairy section of the supermarket you see many types of cheese with a wide-range of flavors, textures and forms. Some cheeses have been around for a long time and you know what their taste is like, and on what occasions you like to eat them. Others, are more of a novelty. Queso fresco, a traditional cheese from Latin America, is one of those cheeses that is unknown in other parts of the world.
Our client is a European leading dairy brand, which covers a wide assortment of tasty cheeses and cooking ingredients. The brand is all about inspiration and getting people to cook. Well known for their Feta cheese variants, they want to expand out of the salad bowl and into the cooking pot. They believe that there is a great opportunity to launch Queso Fresco, a Mexican-inspired soft block cheese, in markets where this type of cheese is not known yet, more specifically in Central and Northern Europe.
Made from fresh cow’s milk, Queso Fresco has a bright white color and a longer shelf life compared with traditional fresh cheeses. The product is best described as a mixture of white cheese in texture and fresh mozzarella in taste. Its texture is soft enough to cut and firm enough to crumble, which makes it highly versatile and easy to use. And although it softens, it does not melt when heated. With its mild milky taste, it lifts a dish in terms of flavor and texture.
Queso Fresco does not have a strong personality yet. We are calling on all cheese lovers and non-cheese lovers to help to create an exciting reason to use Queso Fresco in the kitchen.
Through a poster and a tagline introduce Queso Fresco to a new world and give them exciting reasons to use it in their meals.
Your poster should convince those that see the kitchen as the heart of the home, as a stage to entertain and as a place of fun. They are creative and like to explore, new ingredients, recipes, etc. They look for novelties on the supermarket shelves that open the door to an exciting world outside. For them, this is an opportunity to travel within the four walls of their kitchen.
Some of the characteristics that differentiate this type of cheese that might appeal to the type of person described above:
- Queso Fresco is versatile. Its texture allows it to be cut in particular shapes or to crumble. It can be used on top of dishes as a condiment, in the cooking pot, as an appetizer.
- Queso Fresco is the most widely used cheese in Mexican cooking. It is easily crumbled to sprinkle on dishes like enchiladas and tamales, as well as soups like black bean and tortilla. It also makes a tasty addition to cold vegetable salads. Queso Fresco is classically used in the filling for chile relleños and quesadillas. For a snack, heat some on corn tortillas and top with a dollop of salsa. This product fulfills the trend of experimentation with foreign cuisines in general and is a well-established Mexican trend.
- Queso Fresco is a low-fat cheese. Like other fresh cheeses, Queso Fresco is lower in fat and sodium than aged cheeses. It can also be an alternative to the traditional white cheese that has a higher fat content. This will definitely appeal to the health conscious.
- Queso Fresco is a high protein cheese, making it a good source of protein intake for vegetarian diets. Vegetarianism is a growing trend among the young and Flexitarianism, with movements like “Meat-free Monday”, are on the rise.
- Queso Fresco has a milder taste. It is slightly salty, with a mild, tangy taste, similar to farmer's cheese means it is appealing even to non-cheese lovers.
Get inspired by the above characteristics of Queso Fresco and bring the benefit(s) to life which would inspire people to cook with it!
Your entry should include a key visual and a text explaining your idea. Based on your entry answer to the following questions:
- How do you see consumers interacting with this new product? On what occasions, which kinds of uses, which forms and which dishes?
- Why would consumers need this product and what are the main benefit(s) of consuming Queso Fresco?
- Why will your idea make people want to buy Queso Fresco instead of other cheese?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Think about the type of person that will use Queso Fresco. They want to use tasty, quality and fresh ingredients for their creative, effortless cooking. Think about the benefits Queso Fresco brings and its role in people’s lives.
A good entry can be a poster showing a mother at the kitchen table. She has a pack of Queso Fresco in her hands and is slicing the cheese to stuff it in the chicken fillets. From the chicken fillets, parts of the kitchen transform into a magical world, showing a landscape of Mexico’s magnificent Mayan city, Chichén Itzá. The tagline says “Taste the world with Queso Fresco!”
Bad entry: A bad entry would show Mexican clichés (sombreros, donkeys, etc.)
- #1 Prize €2,000
- #2 Prize €1,000
- #3 Prize €500
A presentation with a visual, tagline and text (general explanation of the idea and answer to 3 questions). Maximum 2 pages.
Your poster and tagline will need to convince consumers that do not know about Queso Fresco yet that this is a must-have ingredient in their creative, effortless cooking.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries must be in English only.
- Your entry must include a visual of your idea, a tagline and descriptive text that answers the 3 questions above.
- Entries should be in English
- Selected entries will be used on the Internet. Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must be compatible with Internet broadcasting. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.