Relax Better with new can designs for Canada Dry®
Unwinding during the afternoon is one of the best moments of the day. Picture yourself… You’re by yourself, at home, taking a break, enjoying a Canada Dry, the leading ginger ale (carbonated soda) in the US market. Canada Dry is a trusted brand dating from 1904.
There is, for sure, a universal need to relax, but Canada Dry knows that everyone relaxes differently. Some people relax by reading a book, spending time outside, watching TV, or browsing the internet. For some people, relaxation is active; for others, it’s passive. What you do to relax doesn’t matter. What matters is how you make the most of your relaxation moments.
33% of the time, consumers grab a beverage when they want to feel relaxed and unwind. Canada Dry enhances the feeling of relaxation, thanks to its real ginger, its bubbles, and its refreshment. Now, the famous soda brand would like to create a more emotional connection with consumers by leveraging the can to enhance people’s relaxation moments. Ultimately, we want them to choose a Canada Dry when they relax alone in the afternoon.
The brand needs your help to create graphic designs for a Relaxation Collection of cans that makes people’s relaxation time better
Design a collection of engaging can designs for Canada Dry to enhance relaxation moments.
Canada Dry is most often purchased in 12-packs (12oz cans together). So, Canada Dry wants to develop 12 different design graphics as part of a 12 pack Relaxation Collection.
For this contest, we’re asking you to design 4 cans. Only the winners will be asked to design the 8 additional can graphics.
But it means that you must think about a Relaxation Collection Theme that can be extended to 12 cans; not just 4.
It’s very important that you propose a common theme for the collection, and that the 4 graphic designs illustrate the theme, and have a common graphic identity. 4 random designs that are totally unrelated are not acceptable.
Very important. Your design must be in two colors: one color for the background (silver or green) and second color for the design elements. See the colors listed in the toolkit.
The design should be self-contained on the panel set-aside for this project. It’s meant to be simple; just the can & the consumer. Do not include a QR code, or an app. Avoid requiring the use of a marker or a pen… we can’t write on metal.
The Relaxation Collection is for adults, aged 35 to 45 years old.
The relaxation moment is often: alone, at home, in the afternoon
The typical situation is: Martha, a 37 years old working mother of two, opens her refrigerator to grab a beverage before she sits down to watch TV before picking up her kids from school. As she grabs a can of Canada Dry ginger ale, surprise her with a message or an image that encourages her to make the most of her relaxation moment?
Your entry should be made of 4 can graphic designs and an explanation of your idea.
Please answer these specific questions:
- What is the central theme of your Relaxation Collection?
- How does the theme enhance consumers’ relaxation moments?
- How could your idea be extended to additional designs that could evolve over time?
The examples are only provided to illustrate our expectations. Please do not use them in your submission or it will be rejected.
Canada Dry is open to both illustrations and text / quotes to enhance the relaxation moment. Regardless of the content you propose, Canada Dry would like you to interpret it with a unique graphic style, that unites the 4 can designs in the Relaxation Collection. To inspire you, here are some initial routes for consideration. Celebrating and stylizing:
- what’s great about relaxation moments;
- ideas from influential figures or thought leaders associated with relaxation;
- or simply ideas that spark thought and / or entertain people during their relaxation moment.
Good Example: Using the unifying theme of “FOMO” (fear of missing out), the 12oz cans are emblazoned with various messages, in different coordinated fonts, reminding you that you don’t HAVE to do it all. Taking the time to relax purposefully on your own enables you to be your best self while at work and at play.
Bad Example: Using a cliché form of relaxation like a spa idea, candles, etc. An example of this could be a unifying theme of a “spa day.” The 12oz cans are emblazoned with sketches of people enjoying an afternoon at a spa. One design depicts someone enjoying a back massage and in another, a person is reading the newspaper in a sauna.
- #1 Prize €5,000
- #2 Prize €4,000
- #3 Prize €1,000
Presentation with 4 can designs and explanatory text.
The best ideas will be those that create an emotional connection with consumers by providing something extra to the relaxation moment. They will create a self-contained experience that enhances someone’s moment of relaxation.
Guidelines for this contest
- Entries should be in English.
- Brand Tone: Genuine, grounded, upbeat, approachable, comforting.
- Brand Personality: Canada Dry is a feel-good- Canada Dry offers the comfort and reassurance of an old friend.
- Download graphical assets from the toolkit.
- Use the promotional panel on the template to create your design.
- Do not use emojis.
- Do not consider themes around laziness, sleepiness or spa-like environment (candles, yoga, zen etc.).
- Your design can only be comprised of two colors. We provide the list of colors you can pick from in the toolkit. The background can either be the base can color (silver) with text/imagery in another one of the colors defined in the graphics file OR the background can be green like the majority of the can with text in silver/one of the other colors defined in the graphics file.
- Include a 2-tone logo in the toolkit in the design panel (not full color logo). The example in the toolkit shows a green logo – the background color would be the silver color of the can. You can reverse the silver and green if you wish. You also do not have to use green (it can be one of the other six colors listed, as long as the entire design only incorporates two colors). The logo does not have to be a certain size on the promotional panel, but typically the logo is relatively small and placed at the top or bottom of the promotional panel.
- Do not use real ginger credentials to tie to relaxation in any way.
- The priority is simply the consumer experience with the can, so there’s no requirement to extend the experience to social media via a hashtag.
- Entries should be in English
- Authorizations and licenses to use protected elements (incl. music, photos..) must include at least: (i) the right to incorporate the protected elements in new works that are derived or based upon these elements, (ii) the right to use for commercial purposes and (iii) the right to use on the Internet. You must be able to provide a written proof of these authorizations and licenses at any time.
eYeka standard guidelines
- Do not show any personal details in the entry (name, contact number, e-mail address, etc.).
- Keep the source files / working files of your entry until the winners have been announced as they may be needed.
- Your participation must comply with the rules you accepted when you joined the contest.
- Your entry has to be your own work to be considered into the contest. If you have included protected elements (music, photographs, designs, fonts, etc.), make sure to fill in the Legal Information section when you upload. You may be asked to provide the authorizations and licenses to use such elements.
- You must be able to provide the written authorizations from each of the authors and actors who have contributed to the entry.
- Do not depict sexual, violent, religious, political content or any illicit content as per the rules.
- Any entry that fails to comply with these rules will not be considered for the contest.